Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two gold 1999 Grand Vitaras that are virtually the same except that one is straight shift, and the other is automatic. The automatic was flipped on its top during the winter as explained here: http://www.suzuki-forums.com/1g-1999-2005-vitara-grand-vitara/108465-r-i-p-1999-grand-vitara.html

The wrecked automatic has 221,882 miles and still runs and drives. The straight shift has 145,998 miles.

If I decide to sell, would it be better to try to sell them together as a package? Or take parts from the wrecked one and correct a few mostly cosmetic defects in the undamaged vehicle, then sell them separately?

The damage to the wrecked GV is just sheet metal on the roof, hood, left fender, and a few other areas, but enough to total it. Someone with more time, tools, and talent could conceivably fix it. I can get tools, and I've worked on cars since I was 16, but I just don't have the time.

If I decide to sell, I may put a notice in the classified section. I'll probably try locally first, though.

I'm not leaving the wonderful world of Suzuki. I still have my '05 XL-7 with 30,000 miles, and my daughter (who wrecked the '99) bought a 2012 Grand Vitara with around 31,000 miles.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
13,687 Posts
First question - are the "mostly cosmetic" defects sufficient to impact what you could get on the undamaged vehicle - if yes - then fix them, and put the damaged parts on the other vehicle so that it is complete - I don't see a few more damaged parts as having a significant impact on what you'll be making there.

I would sell separately but indicate a willingness to negotiate a better price if the two were bought together - my reasoning is this - there are some people who will be interested in one or the other, but not both and by offering separately you can get both of these groups, there are probably fewer people who would be interested in the two as a package, and you're not locking them out either.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would agree with the above statements....just post something on craigslist but stress that you are flexible and will sell one or the other, or both. I would def make sure that the manual GV is in the best shape possible in order to sell it...the other GV is already wrecked anyways so what's a few more missing cosmetic items?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice from both of you. That's the plan I'll probably go with.

Thanks for your help.

Ron

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swapped parts between vehicles

I decided to use a few parts from the wrecked GV to fix some annoying defects with my lower mileage, un-wrecked GV. I bought it used and the previous owner was a smoker. It took 6 months, lots of air freshener and an open container of ground coffee to get rid of the smell. There were also a couple of cigarette burns in the driver's seat. Guess they didn't learn the first time it happened. The seat back was well worn with the metal of the frame showing in a couple of places.

There was a softball sized and shaped dent on the front edge of the right fender, along with an accompanying scuff on the bumper cover. I never could figure out how they did it. The identation was concave and smooth.

The last thing that bugged me was a deep scratch that ran almost the entire width of the front passenger door. Looks like it might have been deliberate.

With all these clues, I figured the previous owner was a smoker, probably a big guy because of the worn out seat, and careless since he dropped a cigarette on the seat at least twice and ran into something to dent the fender. Maybe irritating, too. Somebody got mad enough at him to key that door.

All of these were pre-existing conditions when I bought the vehicle, but the price was very low and I could deal with those eventually.

Despite having gone tires up in the accident, the parts I needed were untouched. I transferred the bumper cover, right fender, and front passenger door from the wrecked GV to the undamaged one. I also swapped the lock cylinders so the correct key would work on each car.

For anyone who is interested, it is very easy to remove the seat cushion and back from the front passenger seat and transfer them to the driver's seat. The driver's side seat on the damaged car was in bad shape, too (221,000+ miles) but the passenger side looked almost new.

I figured getting the parts from car-part.com or Ebay could have cost as much as $600-$700, if I could even find parts that matched. Since the two vehicles were externally identical, the paint matched perfectly.

I swapped the removed parts back onto the wrecked GV so it would be complete.

So now that I have the remaining GV looking good, I'm almost reluctant to sell it. But I'm a little jealous of my daughter's 2012 GV. She keeps telling me how great it is.

Ron

·
Registered
263 Posts
Is the good GV a 4x4? If so, does your daughter's 2012 have a transfer case?... if not, it may not be towable as the earlier 4x4 models. It's a rare 2006/7+ GV that has a transfer case. We tow ours behind our RV, so that's a big plus for us. Any chance you'd part with the spare door cylinder? I need one to get rekeyed, as someone tries to put a screw or screw-based puller in our passenger side cylinder and screwed it up royally to where it's not at all functional. Hope you enjoy yours for many years!!

·
Super Moderator
13,687 Posts
It's a rare 2006/7+ GV that has a transfer case.
I find this a puzzling statement...

I've never actually seen a GV (any GV) that didn't have a transfer case - I am aware that the SQ series did come in a 2WD version - but every JB series that I've been in (and I've been in quite a few - one of my clients uses them as fleet vehicles) were all four mode 4WD.

As far as I know the JB series were offered with a choice of single mode or four mode 4WD, and the essential difference between the two is that the four mode has a two speed transfer case with lockable center diff, whilst the single mode has a single speed case and the diff cannot be locked.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My understanding is that, on what's referred to as the 2G version of the GV on this site (2006+), most 4wd capability was delivered by LSD differentials, and that only one of the premium 4wd versions actually had a transfer case. That's what we saw at local Suzuki dealers, at least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts