Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey

i was looking to advance my timing from 0 to 10 deg on my sj80 , could i plz get some info on wat i need to do and if its worth doin ?? cheers

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
stock timing is 8 degrees plus or minus 1 degree. 10 degrees is around one degree advanced past stock and should be just fine. I run mine at 10 degrees.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
there should be a timing mark on the crank pully on the front of the engine and a flange plate with the degree markings on it. It's shrouded by the fan cowling and and a bunch of belts and hoses. It's hard to get the light on it. There's also an access port on the bell housing with a rubber cap over it. That hole will allow you to see the rear flywheel which also has a timing mark for 10deg BTDC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the timing light have three leads or just one? The Inductive clamp should go to Number one lead(closest to front). If the engine is running at 800rpm, the timing light should be operating at approx 6.67 flashes per second.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the clamp for the plug is often directional. If you put it on the number one plug facing one way and it is flashing infrequently, unclip it and flip it over the other way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts