Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find out what advancing the timing on my 1986 samurai with weber carb. Will this help me with th epower torque? I have flat top pistons and exhaust. the minor things. I cant use my 5th gear due to the lift and 30" tires.

I plan on advancing the timing and using premuim fuel (here in 0oregon it is 92 OCT)

can someont with more knowldege help me with this before i screw it up hahaha

·
Super Moderator
12,450 Posts
Advancing the timing will give you more power & torque, but transfer case gearing is the solution to your 5th gear problem - get a timing light, mark the distributor position and then with the engine idling, slacken the distributor & rotate it, one way will increase the timing advance, the other will retard - go for about 15* and see how it feels - listen carefully when accelerating for pinging or pinking.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, I had a good timing light and it is at 19* advanced and I run the 92octane clear gas.

It has a lot more power. (it was previously not even on the pulley! Assuming it was somewhere around 50*)

but I still cannot go into 5th with out slowing down.

I have the stock gears and only 30" tires. My brother has an 88 sammy with 31" tires and can go 65 in 5th gear!

Im so confused

·
Super Moderator
12,450 Posts
Is your brother running stock gears in the transfer case and axles?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm running a new rebuild with flat tops, Isky cam, header, 2" exhaust and 28" tires. I have no problem hitting 75mph @ 5000' elevation (flat ground, no headwind). My timing is set at 12*. Regular gas. Yea, its a busy little motor at that speed.
I think you need to look at what might be going on with your new rebuild.
Have you checked compression, to see if the rings have seated?
How much oil are you using?
Is there much crankcase blowby?
Spark plug readings, for fuel mixture?
Did the cam timing get off, from what its supposed to be, on installation?
Also, I believe the 88 Samurai is the year they dropped the ratio on 5th gear, so, your 86 will have a taller ratio. Your brother may have a gearing advantage over you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you checked compression, to see if the rings have seated? .
Yes I have and everything checks out

How much oil are you using? .
the 4 quarts, whatever it says in the manual

Is there much crankcase blowby?
there is enough to notice! im unsure how much there really should be...

Spark plug readings, for fuel mixture?
they are barely black, so not too rich and not too lean!

·
Registered
328 Posts
but I still cannot go into 5th with out slowing down.

I have the stock gears and only 30" tires. My brother has an 88 sammy with 31" tires and can go 65 in 5th gear!
'88 or '88.5? Round or square vent holes in the dash?

'88.5 and up have a shorter 5th gear. It makes a big difference. I went from a stock '88.5 to an earlier transmission. I'm planning to rebuild the stocker and put it back in. Even with 27" tires it makes a big difference...

·
Registered
18 Posts
With 30" tyres on the stock TC I could also barely see 5th gear, the gearing was just far too long.
I swapped in a TC from a SJ410 (12% reduction) and now I need a 6th gear again damn! The 1st Low crawling is awesome now though

·
Registered
328 Posts
With 30" tyres on the stock TC I could also barely see 5th gear, the gearing was just far too long.
I swapped in a TC from a SJ410 (12% reduction) and now I need a 6th gear again damn! The 1st Low crawling is awesome now though
With a 30" tire and a 12% reduction, you are still pulling a slightly taller gear than stock. Basically, you are back to stock gearing in high-range.

Suzuki Samurai Gear Calculator

·
Registered
18 Posts
With a 30" tire and a 12% reduction, you are still pulling a slightly taller gear than stock. Basically, you are back to stock gearing in high-range.

Suzuki Samurai Gear Calculator
Quite a handy calculator. Low range is also now 12% lower.
This swap was done to eventually run 31" tyres with just 6% gearing difference vs the already 14% on the 30's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts