Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SX4 Crossover looks like the perfect vehicle for me but the reviews regarding poor acceleration are troubling. An SX4 Crossover easlily passed my old Honda Accord on a hill the other day so I’m totally confused.
Question: How’s the acceleration?

·
Registered
201 Posts
the question is weather you drive a car from 2001 + (or something like that)

honestly i just made up that number. but the SX4 had better acceleration than my 96 civic....now would it have better acceleration than a 08 civic (honestly i dont know, but that is what the reviews lead you /me to believe)

but if you have a tired old car - like i did - then the new little sx4 will do just fine. also - the auto, might have some truth to the acceleration issue. but the best thing to do is go out and take a good long test drive on roads you drive everyday - that way you can compare to what you are used too....and what you find acceptable.

good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2007 automatic ... and when i want a litle more pop in my acceleration, i shift into 3rd gear and hold it there until I'm satisfied and then pop it into Drive. I really like the sideways shift from 3 to 4 and vice-a-versa ... not everyone does but it works for me.

if I'm up in the hills and need a little more oomf on acceleration, I'll shut off the A/C until I make it up to speed ... sort of a poor man's turbo boost.

·
Registered
143 Posts
dont let the reviews of poor acceleration stray you away from this car. the crossover is so much more then just the 0-60 times some office guy posts. test drive the car. it has so much to offer for the price. seriously, if you want a car for acceleration, youre looking at the wrong auto manufacturer. go buy a corvette or something.

but based on what you said, that this car is the perfect vehicle for you, then get it, you wont be disappointed by its overall performance and abilities.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As said before, take a test drive. It doesn't have V8 power but my 5 speed version is fine. My daily commute is 50mi round trip highway. No problems accelerating to highway speeds and the stiffer suspension provides extra stability heavy traffic. Also, the SX4 sits higher than the Accord for aided visibility (wife has an 01 Accord).

Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Beat it

I have a manual...and I tend to drive it like I stole it....meaning driving real hard, watch the tachometer until it hits at least 4,000 before shifting. I am finding it to be quite peppy, with good passing abilities...you'll suffer some with MPG, but safety frist!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Acceleration

Well I know when I'm on a red light and it turns green, My SX4 has some kick. It usually beats everyone else as soon as i hit that gas pedal. Maybe because its just small and light. And all you have is the powerful DOC Engine. But then cars start to soon catch up to you. LOL

You can really feel the difference when you go uphill, especially when you have 2-3 passengers. But when you are the solo driving you feel the power and kick. Last night i did 70 on the parkway easily.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have a 07 GY FWD model and whilst ive never had a problem with the acceleration, when i took it to my dealer to get serviced they gave me the 4wd model and i hated it!

both were manual, but the 4wd drove like a auto, it was too slow for me... was glad when i got my one back

·
Registered
14 Posts
Off Topic

I'm new, and whenever I tried uploading my Avatar image in my User profile it says Error, anyone get this problem???

·
Registered
47 Posts
The SX4 Crossover looks like the perfect vehicle for me but the reviews regarding poor acceleration are troubling. An SX4 Crossover easlily passed my old Honda Accord on a hill the other day so I’m totally confused.
Question: How’s the acceleration?

As for acceleration, don’t go by what is written in reviews be it positive or negative. These reviews although helpful, do not offer any long term or real world experience. As mentioned elsewhere here, we have 2 identical USA specific SX4’s, automatic. One resides overseas the other in the states.

The one in Europe has its work cut out for it as the terrain, form of driving and overall road/driving demands are different from what we have in the US. Thus far the car in Europe has accumulated 3500 miles over all sorts of terrain and conditions. It accelerates quickly, smoothly and effortlessly. This summer the temperatures there have been hovering around 40 degrees Celsius. It has carried 5 adults with excessive baggage (once the cargo area was stuffed, the cross bars carry an aluminum cargo box which spans the entire roof surface, this was also loaded to capacity) a/c on and without any complaints of lacking power.

Note that the 2.0 litre which powers the SX4 is the same unit that powers the Vitara throughout Europe. Although gearing is different, I doubt the motor requires as much effort to pull the SX4 as it does the Vitara.

As a personal note, the first oil change on both cars occurred @ 1500 miles. The oil used was a 5/40 Synthetic. Synthetic oil provides superior lubrication compared to regular oil, thus less friction which equals to smother operation, better fuel economy/acceleration.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oil Change

Damn! I'm up to 1800 miles. What brand do you recommend on Oil. I gotta hit Jiffy Lube on Sunday then. Or will I get an indicator on my dash?
Are u saying i should change oil every 1500 miles?

You said:

As a personal note, the first oil change on both cars occurred @ 1500 miles. The oil used was a 5/40 Synthetic. Synthetic oil provides superior lubrication compared to regular oil, thus less friction which equals to smother operation, better fuel economy/acceleration.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Damn! I'm up to 1800 miles. What brand do you recommend on Oil. I gotta hit Jiffy Lube on Sunday then. Or will I get an indicator on my dash?
Are u saying i should change oil every 1500 miles?

You said:

It appears you have misinterpreted my post. I wrote that the first oil change occurred at 1500 miles. This is the oil which carries all the filings/shavings during the break in period. Contrary to almost every manufacturers recommendations I do not want the factory oil in the crankcase for any extended amount of time. 1500 to 2500 miles is enough for the oil to carry the aforementioned shavings. Then out it goes. I have owned many new cars over the years and with every “first” oil change I always send a sample to the lab for analysis. No matter which motor I’ve had the analysis always comes back with an ugly report. “Change oil immediately”, “heavy metal content”, etc, etc, etc…

As for your response, I do my own oil changes, I do not go to Jiffy lube.:eek::eek::eek: Never have never will! When it comes to my motors only “top shelf” nothing else will do!;)

I use only synthetic oil. Either Castrol 10/60, Pentosin 05/40 or Rotella 5/40, and always a Bosch filter with an anti drain valve. Unless I happen to own a vehicle with a paper oil filter, then it’s a Mann or Hengst.

As for indicator(s) on your dash, I have no idea what you are referring to.:huh:

As for your oil change intervals, do as you wish. Personally, the first LOF is at 1000-1500 miles. Then every 4000 miles thereafter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oil Change

Thanks, this is useful. Is there some tutorial or video that I can go to and do the oil changes myself? I never did an oil change before. Is it easy?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks, this is useful. Is there some tutorial or video that I can go to and do the oil changes myself? I never did an oil change before. Is it easy?
Considering that each vehicle is unique, oil changes differ as the procedures and placement of the filter/drain plug are different from vehicle to vehicle. I am not aware of any tutorial… sorry.

With all due respect, if you have not gotten involved before, then I recommend you go to a reputable mechanic/repair shop in the area that can do it for you, if not the dealer.

I have been working on cars for many years. Some are difficult some easy… some are just a pain…:mad: For example, the oil filter replacement on the V6 Vitara must be a cruel joke from Suzuki to all mechanics and those who replace it on their own. No matter how careful and neat one is, there will always be oil running down the side of the block and most dreadfully down the fore arm… Oh well… :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Suzuki

I feel If i have Suzuki do it, they will charge me an arm and a leg.

I had an Audi A4 2004 and oil changes were at no charge until the warranty of the car expired.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I doubt it… The dealer will use a Suzuki filter, which is good. I don’t know about synthetic oil, but some dealers a very good with bringing your own oil and having them pour it in. Ask you have nothing to loose…

I don’t know what your dealer uses, but the dealer we bought our cars from use Castrol or something like that... As for cost, I came across a banner hanging on their service drive which I think read $18.99 or something near that for an oil change. I actually spend more money doing it on my own, but that’s just me…

If it comes to the dealer or jiffy lube I’ll go to the dealer… I don’t believe in “cheap” oil changes. The money you save on each oil change you will pay for ten fold in long term engine repairs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Right Job

How can I tell if they jipped me? Lets say I get the oil and the filter for them and they replace it with cheap shit.

Any tips on confirming that they used the right ingredients?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I used the wrong stuff once at my shop because it was not written up correctly and YUP I got to do it over.

Unless the tech has the same car they could care less. Heck if really nervous watch. As for the filter if all else fails bend over and look. Oil you'd have to watch. Besides no tech is going to risk getting fired over an oil change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts