Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working at a disadvantage here as I'm away from home with limited tool box but I was just quoted $822.00 for a new condenser. My vehicle is a 2001 GV V6.

As background, I took it in because the AC wasn't blowing cold and the compressor was developing a noise. They diagnosed a freon leak but said it was too small to find so they put some dye in and had me drive for a week. When I took it back this morning they used a black light and found a leak in the condenser. The compressor noise is gone and is OK.

I see the condenser and it doesn't look like a big job even with my limited tools but I have a couple of questions if you can help.

I found a condenser at Auto Parts Warehouse for $75. Kool Vue KVAC3033 A/C Condenser | Auto Parts Warehouse Is there any reason to fear the quality of this unit?

Next, don't have the manual that Max provides with me but a tip on how to finish removing the grille would get me started. I have the push pins out of the top but can't see what is still holding the bottom. I feel that it's a matter of pulling but don't want to break something before I get started.

Thanks for reading and double thanks for any advice!

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
That's the going price for the less expensive aftermarket condenser...
2001 SUZUKI GRAND VITARA A/C Condenser

RockAuto I use and trust. Not sure about the vendor you mentioned.

Yep. A freon removal, condenser install, evacuate and charge is on tap for you. ;)

Dehydrator (dryer) change too, after opening the system. Pressure testing is not of the norm. System vacuum and observe for leakage, yes. The book says to add bit of additional reefer oil too, with the change-out.

You can save a LOT by purchasing & installing the condenser yourself, it appears. Only two mechanical line fittings (w/o-rings too I believe).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Max. I'll go down to the library in the morning and download the manual. I'm on a limited bandwidth connection here that charges arms and legs if I go over the limit so have to watch what I use.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the part ordered and just waiting for it to show up. I downloaded the manual and it says to remove the bumper and pull the assembly out from the bottom. I'm hoping I can short cut that by unbolting the fan and tying it forward, then work the condenser out from the top. Has anyone done this, and did it work ok that way?

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
Haven't had to remove one. Up and out sounds feasible if you can clear the interference. Let us know. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update FYI. The condenser change went as planned without removing the bumper but not without a little trouble.

The bracket on the passenger side of the unit prevents it from clearing the bodywork when pulling it out from the top. Fortunately it's soft aluminum and is just there to provide a fastening point for the freon tube so I bent it back to get the old one out, then did the same with the new unit. Once I had the new unit in place I just re-bent to tab to nearly it's original form.

A bigger deal for me was access to the lower mounting bolts. They are in places that old arthritic hands just don't want to go. The whole change-out would have been less than an hour but took me at least twice that long with the many breaks to nurse the old hands. Fortunately the nice old lady next door was outside so I didn't have to use my vocabulary of four letter words. Out loud that is;)

I'll get it vacuum tested and recharged next Monday so the hard part is over:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
101vet - I have the same problem, a leaking condenser. Can you tell me how the new condenser working for you?

Also, in researching replacement condensers I'm getting conflicting info on which unit I need for my '01 Grand Vitara JLX 4WD. Local dealer in Calgary, Alberta says I need part no. 95310-66D00. Some online sources say I need 95310-65D11. Your Kool Vue replaces a ......D11. It looks like parts are VIN dependent? My VIN is JS3TD62VX14156572.

Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually I sold that rig to a neighbor but it's still making cold air. It's in Yuma, AZ so that is no smell feat. Don't know how to help you with the VIN but your supplier should be able to get you the right unit. I was working with a bare minimum of tools so you shouldn't have any trouble if you have a decent tool box.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
I'm seeing two (VIN specific) OE condensers listed for your model, neither one are the numbers that you have currently. :huh:
2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store

But at those OE prices, I'd opt for aftermarket items.

There are VIN specific aftermarket units to choose from! :)
2001 SUZUKI GRAND VITARA A/C Condenser

VARIOUS MFR Part # SZ3030113 More Info {#9531065D11}
2WD; to VIN 14155434
4WD; to VIN 14167620
$73.79

VARIOUS MFR Part # SZ3030111 More Info {#9531065D20, CNDDPI3532}
4WD; from VIN 14167621
2WD; from VIN 14155435
$101.79

APDI/PRO Part # 7013033 More Info {#9531065D11, 9531065D30, 9531067D10} Core Size: 14-1/4" x 20-5/8"
To VIN 14155434; To VIN 14167620
$104.89

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Max.

My GV is 4WD with a VIN ending in 14156572. So from your references and from 101vet's experience it seems I need Suzuki part 9531065D11 or equivalent. Not 9531065D00 as my local supplier said. I wouldn't feel too exposed ignoring them - a former Suzuki dealer reluctantly supporting the marque, they don't inspire competence. So, ....D11 it is.

Auto Parts Warehouse is offering 101vet's Kool Vue KVAC3033 for 58.42 USD. 101vet reports the part is working just fine and you can't beat the price. I'll order it today.

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it all works out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.