Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, right now I am trying to smooth out my 91 sammy. I installed OME springs and that seems to have helped a lot especially with low speed bumps and 4x4ing but Highway and road driving is still quite stiff. My thoughts were that the original shocks are not absorbing the quick shocks at higher speed and therefore are preventing the springs from flexing. Am I right in thinking this? If so what would be THE softest BEST shock I could get my hands on (in Canada)? Has anyone tried the gabriel shocks sold by Petroworks? Also, what do you guys think about just figuring out the length dimensions and then just going with a cars shock?

Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had PW install OME's, Gabriels, and their HD shackles about 5 years ago. I cannot say which part accounts for what, but the ride improvement was enough to make the wife (and me) a lot happier. It still drives like a short wheelbase truck, but then, that's what it is. I've since driven a couple of 300 mile days and also about three weeks of 100+ mile days (on high-speed LA freeways) and walked away. Absolute BEST is kinda subjective. The Gabriels are inexpensive enough, and the guys at PW are knowledgeable enough to make the Gabriels a worthwhile risk.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
basically for freway driving the cheapest lightest dampening shock is going to be best for you. Even though shocks are designed to reduce spring bounce, the heavier duty shocks for off roading will also make a light weight vehicle like the samurai ride a lot more stiff.

Longer springs however will go a lot further towards softening your ride than any set of shocks. I'm currently running Monroematic shocks for a dual shock F-250. The single shock from their dual shock setup is more than enough dampening for my samurai. Make sure that when you look for shocks you measure the distance at full flex, full compression, and at rest.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Best Shocks for Beach?

We were bounced around a lot on the hardpack last trip to SPI. Shackle lift by previous owners and ordinary "blue" shocks. Figure I'll pull a front and rear to match length and get the same Monroe's before this years trip....
Thanks for any input ;)

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
There have been alot of suggestions, and I don't disagree with any of them. But be sure to understand that one of the best shock upgrades is a set that actually fits the articulation your vehicle is capable of. Notice I didn't say 'fits your suspension (type)'...
I say this because every SPOA is not created equal, and worn leaf packs can seriously change how it sits.
Just pulling a shock off and measuring it won't always give you the right lengths. The previous owner may have gotten it wrong too.

Those of you that have been around awhile (on this forum) have probably read my 'articulation' instructions before, so this is nothing new.

-Remove all four shocks.
-Drive into a ditch in 4wd at a diagonal.
-Get to the point where a front tire and an opposite rear tire are barely touching the ground.
-Leave it in gear, shut off the motor and set the parking brake.
-Get out and go underneath with a measuring tape.
-You will have full extension and full compression for both front and rear.
-Add an inch to the extended measurement
-Take off an inch for the compressed measurement.
-Note the type of mount on each end (pin or eye)
-Take the measurements to the local auto parts store and ask if they will let you go through the catalogue to match the lengths.
-Then look at the vehicle that the shock was intended for and pick a shock that is intended for vehicle that is comparable in weight to the Zook.

Voila! A custom matched shock solution.

·
Registered
105 Posts
there is a couple of ways you can go you can either take a leaf out of your spring pack but you have to have them reset as taking leaves out will lower your 4x4 but it will soften the ride or you can go with an adjustable shock witch you can set to your preference with the adjustables you can either have in cab adjustment or you can have manual adjustment which means you have to get under your 4x4 personaly i would go with the ranch rs 9000 or the tuff dog adjustables i'm running the ranchos and they work wonders for me. and to get the right shock length you should park your 4x4 on level ground and measure from the top mount to the bottom mount and thats the middle of your travel and work it out with the shocks you want so you have the same up and down travel otherwise you'll top out or bottom out and you will be up for another set of shocks sooner than you think.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks Guys!

I think the ditch in my pasture is deep enough to do this, 80S this weekend! Yipee!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Billjohn, after I have found the right sized shocks would it mount into my samurai or would I need to make custom brackets/mounts?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
You can install them in the stock location, but if you start moving the axles around like I have you will be adding aftermarket mounts. If you are SPOA, then you will definately want aftermarket mounts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So all/most shocks have universal sized eyes and threaded ends?

I am running a stock setup with Old man emu springs

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
If there is a question, then take a shock in with you. the only time I have had an issue was when the bolt size was different. so i used the old bushing and it worked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't find shocks that fit any recommendations?

I have an 88 Samurai with a 5" lift and I'm having a hard time trying to find shocks that actually fit with that large of a lift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So which shocks, for a stock or EMU 1.5 lift Samurai, are the softest? I love the idea of adjustable shocks. But $250 is a bit out of my league. But I'll spend it if it's the only game in town to get a super soft shock experience. On streets and dirt logging roads at worst.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts