Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting back to the original topic - was the issue ever resolved? I've experienced the same thing, but without the 'spinning wheel' sensation. Very unsafe to have ABS engaged in summertime on dry pavement at hiway speeds especially. Dealer suggested disabling ABS entirely by pulling the fuse, which I've done, but now have 2 bright warning lights staring at me. If it's a case of a bad wheel sensor, how do I determine which one? If it's the ABS module I have a parts truck to scavenge from. If it's something else I'd like to know. So was this resolved? How?
:huh:
Bob

·
Super Moderator
19,086 Posts
Bob, I'm moving you here to start your own new thread.

Elaborate for us with what vehicle you have and the brake problems to date, w/history.

If this isn't the correct year / model section (you posted earlier in XL-7), I'll fix that as well if need be.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,254 Posts
The ABS is comprised of HALL sensors and magnetic inductor rings...

The individual sensors can be tested with a lab scope, a DVOM/VOM, or a designated ABS scanner.... As the ring passes the sensor, you should register a square wave (lab scope), or a spike (VOM).

The older vehicles had only one sensor (in the rear pumpkin, common broken wire)..
Newer employed 2, one in each rear wheel...
the newest, all wheels....

.... Philip

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 2002 XL7. Brakes malfunction by engaging unpredictably on dry pavement, just as described in the other thread, which is why I was asking there if it was resolved. I had no warning lights on. I called the dealer and asked what could be causing this and they suggested I remove the fuse and disable the ABS entirely. They did not seem interested in doing a diagnosis. I removed the fuse and the brakes work fine now but I have these 2 bright warning lights staring at me. Very annoying. I suppose I could take the dash apart and remove the bulbs but I would prefer to fix the problem if I can get some idea where to start - i.e. most likely cause.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ABS is comprised of HALL sensors and magnetic inductor rings...

The individual sensors can be tested with a lab scope, a DVOM/VOM, or a designated ABS scanner.... As the ring passes the sensor, you should register a square wave (lab scope), or a spike (VOM).

The older vehicles had only one sensor (in the rear pumpkin, common broken wire)..
Newer employed 2, one in each rear wheel...
the newest, all wheels....

.... Philip
It's an '02 XL7, all wheels have sensors. I have access to spare parts truck but no scope or scanner.

·
Super Moderator
19,086 Posts
OKAY. Your avatar threw me off. :huh:

Let's see where this thread now takes us in your quest to fix the problem.

ABS issues can often be uncovered with the appropriate scanner made for the job. Dealer? A top shop? I suggest that you seek the service rather than potentially just throw parts at it.

That's all I've got anyway. Maybe someone else was a better plan or specific diagnostic / repair suggestions.

Do you have the GV Service Manual? The platforms are near exacting. I can help you there if needed.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The dealer should be able to hook up their scan tool and read fault codes from the ABS system. (I've done it on my 2004 XL-7 using an X431 scan tool- it also has an ABS test mode where you jack up the vehicle and spin each wheel.)

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,254 Posts
An analog VOM will do the job, or a DVOM set to continuity (beep mode)

Each wheel sensor is connected close by on the frame, open the connection and set the meter on OHMs, spin the wheel and watch the meter... If all wheels check OK, it is probably a wiring issue...

..... Philip

I just chased an intermittent on a Dodge crew, used an Autel MD802

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I've cleaned the "face" of my sensors in the past. They seem to be magnetised enough that they pick up all sorts of filings- which no doubt doesn't help their operation. That also seems to have helped whenever there's been random ABS fault lights in past years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts