Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I had the passenger side wheel bearing replaced on my 03 xl7 today. Now my abs is activating when almost stopped on dry pavement. No abs issues prior to the bearing replacement. Also, my parking brake is now clicking when released and barely holds the truck from rolling. This also worked fine before the bearing replacement. Other than a new mechanic, any ideas as to what the causes of these problems are? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
13,104 Posts
There are two wheels on the passenger side - which one did you have the bearings replaced on?

Is the ABS light on indicating that it has sensed a fault? How do you know it's activating?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry the rear bearing. There is no abs light or brake light present other then check on start up. I can feel it in the pedal just as im coming to a stop. Say mabey 4km/h and under. No other time. Im not particularly a fan of this system but would still be nice to have it in working order. Plus ive pulled the fuse for now so I do have dash lights on. Quite annoying. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
18,204 Posts
So, there is no ABS activation (lights) illuminating, but the sound or FEEL of what is presumed as ABS activation when the brakes are applied, correct? :huh:

Given the recent work accomplished, I'd suspect an error in rear brake re-assembly, too tight of brake initial adjustment, or oil or grease on the brake friction surfaces. ;)
Additionally, should correction there not bring the E-brake back into spec, then that too will require adjustment.

Does the rear drum in question get considerably hotter that the other after a stopping effort? If so...adjustment or assembled wrong for sure.

See...
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/1g-1999-2005-vitara-grand-vitara/20222-brake-shoe-install-lessons-learned.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok so the parkig brake seems to have adjusted itself back into place. At last check, the abs was still activating at low speeds when stopping. Ill pop the abs fuse back in tonight after work and see if the parking brake issue has followed suit of the abs. If not, ill have to pull the drum apart. Thanks for the thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts