Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past 6 months I managed to get married and bought 3 samurai. Is that the plural? It's obvious that I'm crazy so you may want to stop reading now. In March I bought my first one. I was looking for a CJ to pull a harbor freight trailer around my wooded camp property loaded with building supplies. The job was wearing out my quad and my truck was too big for most of the trails. I thought a CJ would do the job but I could not find a good one in my price range. A friend showed me a Craigslist ad for an 88 jx soft top that came with a trailer to haul it. $1600 seemed fair to me so I bought it and thus began the sickness. I was told by the owner that the owner before had done all sorts of work to it to go off road, even said it was on the cover of a 4X4 magazine but could not find it for me in his clutter. It has a lower geared transfer case some sort of SPOA with rears up front all look home made. The carb is a water choked webber and there are some rusty headers and larger than stock exhaust. It had some rust holes but I have seen worse living in PA Almost $2K later and it is still not ready for the job. While looking for a replacement hood in May I came across my second. It was also an 88 that was stock except for a 1 inch shackle lift and 205/75s. I was not expecting much from Detroit but it was in far better shape than the one I have been putting all my $ into. I figured I would just drive it until I finished the "project". It did not pass PA inspection due to a high idle that would not respond to the adjustment screw. It would also blow some dark smoke at startup even though compression was 170 across all 4. I bought a valve seal set and carb rebuild for this one but have not done the work yet. So much for just buying it for the spare body parts. Just when I was getting ready to work on it I blew a tire loading it on the trailer and was not surprised to take a good look at all the tires including the original spare and saw they all needed replaced due to age. An hour after ordering A set of Hankook dynapro mt's I was closing a Craigslist search for tires when I noticed an ad for what would become my 3rd. The guy was selling his late fathers stuff to pay for the taxes on the things he wanted to keep. On the get rid list was a 86 that came from AZ and was in a barn till 2 years ago when his father bought it and fixed it up. The interior was linexed and the whole underside was rust framesavered. It did have a couple spots of surface rust on the exterior but they were the type you could repair with some scotchbrite and touch up paint. The engine was rebuilt and ran so quiet compared to my others I had to look at the tach to see that it was running. I bought it because the price he wanted was what I just paid for the hankooks and it was wearing brand new 235/75 wranglers. It was inspected till December so I threw a plate on it and started driving it. On the second drive( the first was 3 miles to work). I noticed oil dripping from underneath. It seemed to be coating everything from the bell housing back including the AC lines that pass into the firewall. I checked the oil level and it was good so I was not seriously larded till I drove home and it was dripping more. The front drive shaft and transfer case were covered. Not normal for an engine that was rebuilt. I called up the seller and he said to check the PCV but it was not even being used. The valve cover vented into base of a new manual choked webber. I degreased everything and started the engine. I watched it at idle for 15 minutes, no oil leak. Revved it to over 4K and still no oil so I shut it off and drove it the next day to a different work site 20 miles away and during this run I again covered the under side with oil. It was down 1/2 quart so I added it and headed home. During this drive the head gasket let go and washed out #2 cylinder. A head gasket later and it is running fine. That is my tale of the 3 Sammys although a coworker told me about someone wanting to trade his tin top for a street bike. Hmmmm. Don't have one of those yet..
I'm most likely going to ask some questions after searching for my answers but wanted to say hi first. So Hi!

Jim in PA

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paragraphs.

I agree after looking at that big block of type it is a bit much. I typed it up on an iPad while pretending to watch a redbox movie with my wife. She rented it and asked me to watch it with her. I understand that the first Sammy was used a lot in Ohio. Wellsville and some place off of Rt 70.

Jim.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I agree after looking at that big block of type it is a bit much. I typed it up on an iPad while pretending to watch a redbox movie with my wife. She rented it and asked me to watch it with her. I understand that the first Sammy was used a lot in Ohio. Wellsville and some place off of Rt 70.

Jim.
Haha I hear you about the mobile posting... Sometimes it's difficult to know how it will look.

We do like photos so if you have any to share it would be appreciated... if you are interested in what Project Tetanus looks like click the link in my sig.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Photos

Here are the little beasts in order of purchase.
The red 88 on trailer it came with, and side /front shots then how it sits this afternoon in garage.

Silver 88

Blue 86

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts