Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I have read over here, there is no compatibility between the v6 2.7 XL-7 ODBII connector and the ELM327 scanner.
Anyway, I tried today and offcourse, I failed to scan my XL-7.
I was looking for more data, and I know now, the ELM327 works fine with the diesel XL-7 with the RHZ engine, I guess because the ECU model.
Does anyone of you knows what protocol use the XL-7 with petrol engine?
Or even better, have you tried other "cheap" scanner with succes?
Regards.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Where do you live? That will impact on the compatibility of your XL-7 with the OBD2 standard (the date each country made it mandatory varies.) ;)

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
First off, what year is the XL-7? 2006 and later are OBDII, before that is OBDI, and not all 2006 ones are in fact OBDII.

The cheaper ELM327 chip based scanners come in 2 versions, petrol and diesel and they aren't compatible because the makers can sell 2 instead of 1.
I have one that works fine on just about every petrol one i plug it into and it communicates with my phone just fine. Great for road tests.
Protocols vary from country to country, but the common ones are as follows

ISO15765-4 (CAN-BUS)
The most modern protocol, mandatory for all 2008+ vehicles sold in the US. Uses pins 6 and 14, communication is differential.

Four variants of ISO15765 exist. They differ only in identifier length and bus speed:

ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID,500 Kbaud)
ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID,500 Kbaud)
ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID,250 Kbaud)
ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID,250 Kbaud)

ISO14230-4 (KWP2000)
Very common protocol for 2003+ vehicles using ISO9141 K-Line. Uses pin 7.

Two variants of ISO14230-4 exist. They differ only in method of communication initialization. All use 10400 bits per second.

ISO 14230-4 KWP (5 baud init,10.4 Kbaud)
ISO 14230-4 KWP (fast init,10.4 Kbaud)

ISO9141-2
Older protocol used mostly on European vehicles between 2000 and 2004. Uses pins 7 and optionally 15.

SAE J1850 VPW
Diagnostic bus used mostly on GM vehicles. Uses pin 1, communication speed is 10.4 kB/sec.

SAE J1850 PWM
Diagnostic bus/protocol used mostly on Ford. Uses pins 1 and 2, communication signal is differential and it's rate is 41.6kB/sec.

pinouts of OBDII protocols are: (looking at plug, wide side at top pin one is top left, 16 is bottom right on narrow side)

J1850 PWM must have pins 2 and 10
J1850 VPW pin 2 only
ISO9141/14230 must have pin 7, pin 15 is optional
ISO15765 (CAN) must have pins 6 and 14.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Its quite a complex subject and the post above contains a few errors. We need to know what market the vehicle was built for and the year of manufacture. One of the issues is that it isn't an 'OBD2 connector' it is a standard diagnostic connector that is specified by SAE-J1962, OBD2 and EOBD require the use of that connector but it can be used for any protocol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, I see. Sound like Pandora´s box!
Thanks for the replies.
@murcod: I live in Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina (also known as The End of The World), and according to one VIN decoder on the web, my Zuki is:
VIN: JS3TX92V174200105
WMI / VDS / VIS: JS3 / TX92V1 / 74200105
Make: Suzuki
Model year: 2007
Manufacturer: Suzuki Motor Company Ltd.
Manufactured in: Japan (Asia)
Plant: Iwata Plant
Sequential number: 200105
Body type: 4 Door Wagon; Hard Top
Engine capacity: 170HP
Engine series: V6, 2.7L; DOHC 24V
Fuel type: Gasoline
Vehicle type: Multipurpose Vehicle (MPV)

@2013GV: So, the ELM327 I used to read my petrol engine belongs to a friend and it was designed (or limited) to read diesel engines? It seams you are right, because my friend can read his RHZ engine. I didn´t know there was different versions of ELM327 for petrol or diesel. My XL-7 should be one of the ISO14230-4 versions, right? Should I look for the "existance" of the pin 7 at the connector?

@Rhinoman: Sorry , but I´m not sure to understand. You mean it could be a protocol totaly different of ODBI or ODBII and it is just sharing the connector? (BTW, you helped me a lot with my GV TDI immobilizer two years ago. Thanks again!)

I have a friend who has a VAGCom wire, and he use it to play with his 2009 VW Jetta. Do you think it is possible to read the XL-7 with that cable? If it so, what software can you recommend me to use?

Thanks again for the replies.
Best regards.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
There is only one version of the ELM327 but there is a lot of different software. Its a standard connector that may be used for OBD1 or OBD2.
I would expect a 2007 Argentinian model to use a proprietary (OBD1) implementation of KWP2000. KWP2000 uses ISO9141-2 so the signal will be on pin 7 on the connector. Usually you will find that an ELM327 will detect KWP2000 but won't be able to retrieve any data.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello again.
I would like to activate this thread again.
Since the last post, I was searching data and trying to connect with my ECU, but no luck.
I have some electronic skills, so I bought some Arduino elements, and I´ll look for mount a sort of "trip computer" on my xl-7, taking data from several sensors (VSS, fuel injectors, and so on).
Anyway, I really would like to get some comunication using the OBDII connector.
Does anybody knows if there were any news about to get data from the ECU using the OBD connector?
Rhinoman, do you still on this business? I remember you were developing an interface to use the OBDII connector with a PC.
Regards and hope to have some comments from you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello again.
I would like to activate this thread again.
Since the last post, I was searching data and trying to connect with my ECU, but no luck.
I have some electronic skills, so I bought some Arduino elements, and I´ll look for mount a sort of "trip computer" on my xl-7, taking data from several sensors (VSS, fuel injectors, and so on).
Anyway, I really would like to get some comunication using the OBDII connector.
Does anybody knows if there were any news about to get data from the ECU using the OBD connector?
Rhinoman, do you still on this business? I remember you were developing an interface to use the OBDII connector with a PC.
Regards and hope to have some comments from you.
Hello, Sorry to start a dead thread again. I tried to do similar thing with Chevrolet Cruze made by Suzuki and very similar to Suzuki swift. Currently I am facing the same issue. Neither ELM nor Arduino plus some hand mad electronics not communicating with the ecu. But another scan tool called CPD+ connecting without any issue. My first question is have you had any luck with your project?
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts