Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guyz hope you can help me about my pick up
it is ok to remove the connection of engine breather to the stock air box then jst close the hole of engine breather to air box

·
Registered
8 Posts
do you mean the hose that come out from the valve cover? that is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation or PCV. yes it is OK to disconnect it from the air box but you have to put a filter on it, don't block the PCV just the port on the air box..

·
Registered
553 Posts
Pcv Hose Purpos

The PVC stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilator. Its hose is connected to the air filter housing so the air intake provides suction to ventilate the crankcase so corrosive fumes and moisture dont stay in the engine. It also sucks the polution causing fumes into the air intake and burns them so they dont pulute the air. If you disconnect the hose, no suction is present, and fumes build up in engine crankcase, causing rapid deteration of engine oil due to gas that seeps past the pistion rings into the crankcase, and delutes the oil so in about a month, instead of having a 10W 40 oil, you have a 10W 25 oil, so less luberacant for engine, more weare!!!! PLUS YOU ARE NOW THE FILTER for the polution!!!!!!!!!!:(

·
Registered
44 Posts
hi dear,

havent you heard of oil catch can, make one at home and fit it between PVC and air cleaner hose... simple but very good

·
Registered
18 Posts
nice info, I checked my pcv, connection mine goes from the top cover engine bloc to the
intake manifold right after the carb. So what ever comes out from that cover (usually excess air-fuel mixture) goes back directly to the combustion chamber, somewhat like a feed back. It does prevent pollution accdg to Auto Repair For Dummies. The breather is different, it comes from the cover and in to the intake barrel of the carb bypassing the air filter.

·
Registered
553 Posts
What is an oil catch can????

What is an oil catch can, and why would I want to make one and install it on a scrum even if I could get to where it should be located?

I was taught to try and improve a design to make it more efficent, not to see how strange, and far from the normal operation I could get it to keep working.
Strange modifications I have seen around Cebu;

1. Bamboo stick to tell how much gas you have left.
2. Better yet, a plastic 1 gallon juge for a fuel tank IN the drivers cab of jeepnys.
3.16 brake light fixtures, but only 1 connected.
4. Running at night with lights turned off to save fuel.
5. Welding springs so they cant sage and bounce when they leave the shock strut off.
6 BIG FASTEN SEAT BELT SIGN on dash, but all belts have been jammed so they dont work.
7. Rodding the radiator yearly instead of using anti rust coolent.

Do you see where experimenting leads unless well thought out?:lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The PVC stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilator. Its hose is connected to the air filter housing so the air intake provides suction to ventilate the crankcase so corrosive fumes and moisture dont stay in the engine. It also sucks the polution causing fumes into the air intake and burns them so they dont pulute the air. If you disconnect the hose, no suction is present, and fumes build up in engine crankcase, causing rapid deteration of engine oil due to gas that seeps past the pistion rings into the crankcase, and delutes the oil so in about a month, instead of having a 10W 40 oil, you have a 10W 25 oil, so less luberacant for engine, more weare!!!! PLUS YOU ARE NOW THE FILTER for the polution!!!!!!!!!!:(
im' sorry but I have to object, venting the PCV to the atmosphere does NOT build up fumes and does NOT deteriorate your oil, it just does not burn the unburnt fuel mixture..

·
Registered
553 Posts
Words gone wrong!!!

Greetings, if you do not connect the PCV hose to the intake manafold in some way, Then HOW will the fumes in the engine get out????
The engine CAN NOT force the fumes OUT!!!
They must be SUCKED out by the vacume of the intake.
I am american, so what my words mean to me may not be what your words mean to you! We may be talking about the same thing, but because of Language diffrences, we dont agree. I keeep trying, hope you do too, Love Roger:rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts
What is an oil catch can ??? Answer :

The fumes coming out of PCV are engine oil + moisture + blow by gases that find their way through weak rings to the PCV, blowby gases are 70% fuel mixed with air and rest CO,CO2 and NOx etc.

Now if we put a small device between PCV and intake manifold that can perform "fractional distillation" of the PCV fumes, it partly stops the contamination of fresh air with oil fumes coming out of PCV.

Mind it engine is designed to burn air and fuel but not engine oil fumes, its like mixing engine oil in fuel in whatever small quantity. Do you ever do that ??

So there comes in the oil catch can.

Details here :

·
Registered
553 Posts
Same page!

Greetings! So we are in agreement that the PCV must be connected to the intake manifold in order to work?
As for the can, it should work, I just don't know where you would put one on a rear engine Turbo EFI Scrum. Its tight down there!:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
banana hose

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

:D:D:D:

the longer and thicker the banana the merrier to eat either way (up or down)

:banana::banana:
:banana:

·
Registered
181 Posts
One thing you all forgot about the breather or PCV hose is with the vacuum
it creates puts negative pressure in the crank case thus stopping any small now I said small oil leaks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
engine vacuum

yeah 100% right, thats why at least i am in favour of keeping the PCV circuit on , maybe through an oil catch can. keeps engine cooler and well ventilatd and saves IM and TB from gumming up with thick oil fumes. increases engine life and efficiency in whatever small ways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To a greater extent, racers use vacuum in the crankcase to help with ring seal and get more horsepower. They run a pump tied to the crank or just run a hose from the valve cover to the header collector and let the venturi effect pull the vacuum.

·
Registered
75 Posts
sucking the positive pressure build up inside the engine also protect the oil seals especially on the engines with loos piston rings...too much pressure build up inside the engine might exceed the designed pressure of the seals and eventualy might lead to an oil leaks on the crank and the cam shafts and even on the head cover

·
Registered
75 Posts
catch can..or in pneumatic world they call it a liquid trap...yes i think they can help, by just trapping the liquid oil and some other liq instead of burning them in the combustion chamber..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts