Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1987 samurai tin top and i am in the process of doing a Spoa lift on it.I just had a few questions about some minor details. i need some drive line spacers and i was wondering how strong they have to be. Also i need to make new shock mounts. and i have come up with this design. will it work? the blue in the picture is where you would weld it to the axle. finally i have aquired a roll bar from a soft top model and has anyone tried to put one in a tin top. it wont fit so i will have to cut it. just wondering if anyone has tried it and knows the way to do it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The design is sound, but flip it upside down to attach it to the bottom of the axle housing. Also move the mounting position closer to the housing so it doesn't put so much stress on the weld line.

Roll bar.
I'm sorry I don't have any pix of it, but I have seen it done using a pair of them (one behind the front seats and one near the back door). You tie them together with an X over the wheel wells. You will have to measure, cut and weld them back to fit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah i got lucky with those mounts. i made my lift pads too small so i needed to make new ones and when i was trying to figure something out for the shock mound i thought i should put my mistake to good use.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about one behind the front seats and one near the back door). You tie them together with an X over the wheel wells. You will have to measure, cut and weld them back to fit. could you explain that a little more please.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
If you tried to fit a soft top roll bar in place you may have noticed that it didn't really fit side to side and the top rubbed. That is where you have to measure what room you actuall have, and then cut the bar and weld it back together to the right size. You could even sleeve it to add strength to the weld.
The second bar goes in at the rear surrounding the inside of the back door. Cut off any brackets you don't use. Add a tube from the top/corner of the drivers side bar and attach it diagonally to the bottom of the rear bar. Then go from the top of the rear bar to the bottom of the front bar. Do this to both sides. The only part that you will have to 'wing it' on will be back at the gas filler tube. Arrange to fit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok. i see now. i was thinking about just using the one and mounting it just like they do in the soft top's. but if i can find a second i'll do what you said.. thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
In a soft top, there is a mount (at the body rail) that allows the smaller diagonal bar to provide support to the main bar. In a tin top there is nothing to provide that support. Adding the second bar, or even just adding a diagonal support bar going all the way to the floor at the back corner would provide the support you need in case something stupid happens. But this is why anyone considers a rollbar in the first place. Right?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh. so the diagonal supports already on the bar wont work? and yah. me and my friend have almost rolled his samurai a couple of times so before i got to carrie away i wanted one in just incase.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok. i have a bunch of 2" tubing that i can use. and again thanks for the help billjohn. your a great help.

·
Registered
448 Posts
yah i got lucky with those mounts. i made my lift pads too small so i needed to make new ones and when i was trying to figure something out for the shock mound i thought i should put my mistake to good use.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about one behind the front seats and one near the back door). You tie them together with an X over the wheel wells. You will have to measure, cut and weld them back to fit. could you explain that a little more please.
About the shock mount, I assume if you're using the stock shocks, then it should be ok, but you will not get much of a flex there. The better option is to weld it on the lower spring perches, to locate it to the bottom of the axle. But then you will need longer shocks. Shocks are not expensive, I suggest you get longer ones; will give you great articulation.

I don't understand how welding an X over the the wheel wells is a good idea; this will geopardize your cargo space and will require you to get rid of your back seats.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I don't understand how welding an X over the the wheel wells is a good idea; this will geopardize your cargo space and will require you to get rid of your back seats.
The X I was talking about would go from front to rear, not side to side. On the tintop, it would be up against each side wall/window. This would actually be safer for putting people in the back seat. Otherwise the only protection would be for the front seats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts