Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone
Just have a PM question when should the timing chains be done? ( 2000 Suzuki GV V6 2.5 I believe 64,000 miles on her )
I want to change the gear oil in the differentials any suggestions on Lube?
Also the 4WD works great when you shift it in to 4W-Lo dose that lock the differentials? can I shift in 4W hi on the fly or do I need to stop? Im going to use full synthetic oil next oil change full tune up filters. Now some cars are touchy on pcv valves how is the Suzuki with after market pcv? Like my blazer doesn't care but my Dodge blows a lil bit of smoke if you don't have a OEM pcv on there After pot hole season is over I'm going to pick up some tires. Looking at Firestone Detestation AT the MT are too aggressive for what I want and who needs 6 ply tires lol (Me) :rolleyes: Everything the lady had for the truck no owners manual or I wouldn't be asking

Looking to dress it up a bit also for off Road look any good sites you guys know of
Thanks all
Eric

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just used the good ol plain jane 75w-90 (or maybe it was 80w-90...not a very big difference) in my differentials...just got the advance auto parts brand stuff. Make sure you have the right size socket for those pesky drain/fill plugs on those differentials! Sometimes a 3/8 ratchet head will work but you don't want to be stripping those out.

here's the socket: Amazon.com: CTA Tools 2049 Square Head Drain Plug Sockets, 2-Piece Set: Home Improvement

I also have a dodge....(2001 ram 1500 offroad w the 360)...they do get quite upset when OEM parts aren't used in certain areas (pcv, certain engine electronics). I'd use an oem pcv just to be safe on my tracker.

You can shift into 4hi while moving, 4lo you must be stopped and in neutral. Someone else with a v6 will chime in about the timing chain question

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
You need to learn how to use the search option, Esty. ;)

90% of your questions have been addressed.

Also the 4WD works great when you shift it in to 4W-Lo dose that lock the differentials?
If you are thinking locked differentials (as in equal amounts of torque applied to all wheels), then no. We don't have "lockers". :(

By selecting 4WD (high or low range), the front differential engages. It's all explained here in the existing sticky thread...
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/1g-199...78-4-wheel-drive-system-problems-include.html

Gear oil thread...
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/1g-199...4-differential-manual-tranny-fluid-check.html

Timing chains are "lifetime". I have 278,000 miles on mine. :rolleyes:

There isn't much out there in "dress-up" stuff. Search "bull bars" for threads like...
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/1g-1999-2005-vitara-grand-vitara/45275-bull-bar-installed-w-pics.html

And welcome aboard!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to learn how to use the search option, Esty. ;)
Well after I posted that I started that and found all that stuff:p

I wasn't able to remove my post or I would of.

I also found other stuff I wasn't looking for very useful.
I started a file on my desk top with all the useful links. When I get a chance ill edit the file and post it for a quick reference (if you like) but there is allot of year so as more stuff comes along you could say O-yea let me add that in there and add it

Hey CSDavies26 its Funny I went to Lancaster Pa last Year at a place called The (The Green Dragon ) its only open on Fridays Its like a big flee market and there was a guy selling a whole set of them square sockets 50 piece set for $30.00 Mack tools and I picked them up. Looks like Ill get to use them soon Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used to live over in pottstown, pa (owen j roberts school district) so not too far from lancaster...I still venture out to the east side of the state about once a year or so to visit old friends. Lancaster is a neat area! I live across the state north of Pittsburgh now but I'm still an eagles/phillies/flyers fan to the core!

We have a "friday only" flea market here too...called Roger's flea market...you can find some good stuff there sometimes!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a "friday only" flea market here too...called Roger's flea market...you can find some good stuff there sometimes!
Sounds like a road trip for me and the wife
I was born and raised In Philadelphia 2 blocks form the Tacony Palmyra bridge
I move just North to Levittown Pa but the family has a house in Carbon County (Jim Thorp area) I have my eyes set there latter

Its always Good to be a Home town Fan no one can ever knock you for that its better then jumping on the Ban wagon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts