Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me 87 samurai with factory air. Previous owner said A/C worked about a year ago and just stopped. Found the compressor wire was unhooked. Plugged it back in.

Hit the A/C button on the dash and the clutch engages. I heard almost an electrical shorting sound from under the dash where the blower motor is. (Blower works fine) Also the light on the A/C button was random flashing in sync with the shorting sound.

Any ideas?

I have a Chiltons manual and it is terrible! Is the Haynes any better for A/C stuff? Looking for wiring diagrams and basic repairs.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Niether of those books do much more than level a rickity table...
You can download the factory service manuals from .:Suzuki Download Archive:. and you will be much happier. It sounds like tracing the wiring is the best way to go, so you are on the right track. The previous owner problably unplugged the wire because of the shorting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Turns out it wasnt a shorting wire. The ECU is buzzing intermittently when the A/C is on. Any one ever heard of this? Could the light on the the button be a low pressure warning?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've conversed with you about this on TBH. The 4 prong plug you were talking about goes to a relay of some sort that is mounted on the bottom of the plastic tray located under the glovebox. Not quite sure what that tray is for so mine is gone. It is a small silver can...maybe 1/2 inch across and an inch long. I don't know what it does either. I can't find it on a schematic anywhere. I believe the only thing you can do is trace the wire out the goes to the AC button on the panel. You may have to cut some electrical tape to do this.....but tape is cheap.

GIZMO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome I have that little silver can. I saw it in a box of stuff the PO gave me.

Just found it online. It is a relay of some sort but I dont know what for. In other vehicles it is used for power windows, fuel pump, ignition, and blower motor.

I guess I'll just get a new one and stick it in there. See what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installed a new relay. Now instead of the ECU buzzing the relay buzzes, much less though :p. Also found a vacuum switch in the engine compartment that is buzzing at the same time. It appears to be the one that is hooked to the idle up on the carb for the A/C.

It has two vacuum lines going to it and it looks like one port thats open on the opposite side. I didnt feel any vacuum there. Is something supposed to be hooked there?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi, please see my thread on I D Vacumn Lines. The vsv for a/c idle-up solenoid
hose attachments are as follows: left (outer port) attaches to the front of the intake manifold near the #1 cyl port(see pic). This port also doubles as a vacumn test port. The inner port on the a/c idle-up vsv mounted on the firewall goes to the vacumn diaphram unit mounted on the pass side of carb next to the throttle cable bracket. Be Cool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome thanks. I'll check the truck when it stops raining. Not complaining though, Its the first good rain in months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts