Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, a couple of weeks ago finally started to get warm and the compressor was locked up on my 02 xl-7. I took it to my local mechanic that I have done business with for a long time ( they have done great work at fair prices in the past) . So they had it for a week and then called me and said they had replaced the compressor and ?? ( I think they said dryer, I could be wrong ) then when they took it out to road test the new compressor locked up. They are not charging me for the replacement of the compressor, but they are telling me that there are metal shavings in the a/c lines and they are gong to have to replace a lot of parts to the tune of $1800 dollars to get it repaired correctly. They are also telling me that the replacement kit has lifetime warranty.
I am thinking the price is reasonable for the amount of work, Am I nuts or does this seem like a fair price??

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
The FIRST rule of thumb when replacing a destroyed compressor IS to flush the system of foreign debris typically cast off from the previous casualty. Period. In fact, most replacement compressor manufacturers REQUIRE proof of accomplishing this step, for warranty purposes.

It is on the shop personnel to have conducted the repairs properly to begin with. :mad:

And an $1,800 price tag is near double of what would be charged locally for me, assuming that the new compressor was a re-manufactured unit, verses OE new.

Parts example with pricing, which includes all the recommended components to replace AND the compressor...
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1388606,parttype,17507

Above supplier's statement, in part...

"Doing the Job Right Takes More Than Just Replacing the Compressor

It is imperative that you replace all the necessary components to ensure extended compressor life and protect against premature failure.

Orifice Tube
The orifice tube meters refrigerant flow through the system and also screens trash that may come through. The fine mesh screen or the internal components of the orifice tube can become plugged restricting refrigerant and lubricant flow.

Expansion Valve
Expansion Valves regulate refrigerant flow within in the system. Other than the compressor, this is the only other moving part. Expansion Valves can become contaminated with system debris and should be replaced.

Accumulator / Receiver Drier
Receiver Driers keeps moisture from permeating in the system and minimizes deterioration of refrigerant and lubricant. It is essential to replace with the compressor to avoid compressor or system failure."

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
Some estimate input results from...
Auto Repair Estimates - Get Honest Car Repair Costs

AC Compressor Replacement for your 2002 Suzuki XL-7 near 29483

RepairPrice EstimateTM
$856 to $1723
Customized for your location
How much should I pay?
Estimate includes:
Labor
$267-$340
Parts (excludes tax & fees)
$589-$1383

Parts Included

AC Compressor

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for that. I used your repair estimate calculator and added in the cost of a/c recharge and come up with $1020 to $1954 so I guess we are somewhere in the ball park
I did (before I posted ) talk throughly with the shop owner and he did mention that they had replaced the dryer, the debris screen ( I know there is one of some type in all a/c systems to catch metal frags coming off the compressor, not sure what it is called ) and a compressor. I know it was a napa brand compressor, could have been a rebuilt unit. And then flushed the system.
The reason they are not charging me for the compressor is they felt like they did not get the system flushed thoroughly the first time, and I think they are still concerned with getting it reflushed, particularly the rear cabin a/c.
Whatever kit they reordered, claims that if you follow their directions and replace all the components that they supply, they will warranty it for life, and I am sure those components are new not rebuilt replacements.
I will post back and let you know the actual cost when they get finished. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
To fix the seized A/C compressor this past Spring on my 2001 Limited XL7, I purchased a new A/C kit (compressor, dryer and oil) online from BuyAutoParts.com for $342. I took the car to a local shop which evac'ed and cleaned the entire system, installed the compressor and recharged it for $900 incl tax. It would have taken a day but was extended to three because a torn dryer screen needed replacing and was not in the kit. I called BuyAutoParts and they overnight'ed the screen to the shop at no charge. I could have DIY'ed the repair but did not have the evac/charge equipment. It was worth the cost and allowed me a free weekend or two for golf.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
I hope you did the Expansion Valve, I had the same thing on another car, that was the only bit we didn't replace, guess what, 3 weeks later the valve seized, meant the compressor was running under vac with no flow, whammo, dead compressor, fragments everywhere again, and $2000 in the hole. At that point i disabled it and wound the window down.

If you notice the air is no longer cold, SHUT IT OFF immediately, and seek advice, simple to diagnose a sticky EV with a set of a/c gauges, and cheaper than another compressor etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hope you did the Expansion Valve, I had the same thing on another car, that was the only bit we didn't replace, guess what, 3 weeks later the valve seized, meant the compressor was running under vac with no flow, whammo, dead compressor, fragments everywhere again, and $2000 in the hole. At that point i disabled it and wound the window down.

If you notice the air is no longer cold, SHUT IT OFF immediately, and seek advice, simple to diagnose a sticky EV with a set of a/c gauges, and cheaper than another compressor etc.
Yes, I forgot to mention the expansion valve which was included in the A/C kit. The shop did not object to my purchase of the A/C kit from another supplier. In fact, they were impressed with the quality and I think they will also use them in the future. The mechanics did a good job evacuating the system of any particles of the seized compressor and torn dryer screen. They also ensured the rear A/C was working. It was a satisfying repair experience.

·
Super Moderator
4,502 Posts
Thats a pretty neat site, Max... Im saving it

Some estimate input results from...
Auto Repair Estimates - Get Honest Car Repair Costs

AC Compressor Replacement for your 2002 Suzuki XL-7 near 29483

RepairPrice EstimateTM
$856 to $1723
Customized for your location
How much should I pay?
Estimate includes:
Labor
$267-$340
Parts (excludes tax & fees)
$589-$1383

Parts Included

AC Compressor

·
Registered
1 Posts
To fix the seized A/C compressor this past Spring on my 2001 Limited XL7, I purchased a new A/C kit (compressor, dryer and oil) online from BuyAutoParts.com for $342. I took the car to a local shop which evac'ed and cleaned the entire system, installed the compressor and recharged it for $900 incl tax. It would have taken a day but was extended to three because a torn dryer screen needed replacing and was not in the kit. I called BuyAutoParts and they overnight'ed the screen to the shop at no charge. I could have DIY'ed the repair but did not have the evac/charge equipment. It was worth the cost and allowed me a free weekend or two for golf.
You have been charged comparatively less as compared to the dealer.I also have recently serviced ac unit from a local ac repair technician and they have charged me $350 for that.So it's that charge to you for service and recharging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts