Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are there any other year models or other vehicle brands that have same parts as 1999 Suzuki Vitara? I know the chevy tracker does, but what about sidekicks or Samurai.

·
Super Moderator
13,691 Posts
The answer will depend on exactly what parts you're looking for/at - as an example - the J20a engine used in the 2.0 Vitara was also used in the 2.0 Aerio and many parts will interchange, it is also possible to swap some suspension & transmission parts with the 89~98 Sidekicks

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
Mainly looking for a hardtop and some interior parts
Then you need to stay in the '99-'03 group of Vitara's, Grand Vitara's and Trackers, but even then (particularly with interior trim pieces) SOME of the colors won't always match (GM vs. Zuk). The hardtops may be different, although somewhat similar in shape, I'd really scrutinize potential donors.

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
Neat list! :)

Vitara, Gr Vitara SUV 97.6 u r,4 1999 2005 Chevrolet Tracker
You might be pushing the envelope on some parts there.

The list sort of contradicts itself, as if you run the model list backwards, it states...

Tracker SUV 86.6,97.6 u r,4 1999 2004 Suzuki Vitara

As stated in the publication...
The entire risk of its use is with the user
So parts compatibility caution should be exercised. ;)

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
Another thought came to mind. Even staying with just the Suzuki side of the house for a moment...for instance, I can attest to the front seats of a '99-'00 being different than the later '01-'03's, even though they fall into the "interchange" grouping.

The earlier seats had an optional (console mounted) center armrest, whereby the later models had the armrest incorporated into the seat backs! :) Yes, they'd probably both bolt in, but not match if you were going to replace only one of the set.

That list would certainly be of benefit at the local "pick n' pull" in order to locate prospective donor parts and THEN check compatibility. I wouldn't buy and ship-in parts sight-unseen though. ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,691 Posts
That "interchange" was not intended to be used for the interchange of parts, but, as far as I can tell, but rather to determine which vehicles may be equivalent in terms of impact resistance, specifically as regards frontal collisions.

This list began in 1990 with a stated need in the Accident Reconstruction community for a centralized source of equivalent vehicles for referring to NHTSA crash tests, since NHTSA does not retest vehicles every year if they have not changed significantly, and generally will only test one sample vehicle of a family of vehicles that may be sold under different brand names but are essentially the same vehicle structurally. As such the focus of the list is primarily frontal collisions (for deriving stiffness coefficients, etc.). There are occasions when, for example, significant interior changes are made in the middle of a model's run which may be relevant to occupant protection but will not be picked up in the list if there are not significant structural changes (i.e. changes in "hard points", wheelbase, etc.) at the same time.
It didn't take me more than about five minutes to pick up a number of instances where attempting to use it as an interchange for a source of replacement parts would lead you seriously astray - as one example - it lists the 2002 Suzuki XL-7 as being the equivalent of a Chevrolet Tracker - the early (01~02 XL-7s did have a front end that was virtually identical in construction to the Grand Vitara/Tracker but from the front suspension going backwards, there were significant differences.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all the information yall posted. It is very good information. So am I better off finding an exact model that has been wrecked or something and try to salvage any good parts. They are hard to find

1 - 9 of 9 Posts