Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 Grand Vitara has been lunging or skipping when I'm accelerating. The RPM's never even get really high. This problem started in about a week and a half ago. Two weeks ago I put some gas line antifreeze in because the temps were going to be sub-zero for a few days. I had the plugs changed but this didn't help. Just today the car has started to die both in park as well as at stops. I've owned the vehicle since 2003 and it currently has 100k. I bought it with 62k. There are no service engine lights. I'm just hoping it's not an expensive fix. Thanks in advance for reading my post.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please help, Follow up.

Once again, this morning it was -8 degrees and I was scared to warm the car up for fear of the engine dying and subsequently the battery draining while I got ready for work. The vehicle ran in park for 20 min and drove pretty well to work. It's about a 10 min drive. Approx 9 hrs later the temp was 23 degrees and the car died as I backed out, started right back up but sputtered, lunged, hesitated, you name it. It runs like a go-cart where you keep methodically pumping the gas to surge forward then abruptly letting up. Happens around 2000 rpm range. Rpm's still never get really high and I can put the pedal to the floor at times with little pick up. Please help if anyone has any ideas about this issue. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
That or those 10 minute drives used so little fuel (nor does the engine reach operating temp for very long if at all) that you haven't cleaned up any potential water in the fuel OR engine.

I'd go with topping off w/premium fuel, another can of dry gas and drive it for at least an hour. Higher speeds best.

Try a can of SeaFoam for a fuel additive this time. Nothing to loose at this point except maybe $8 bucks. ;)

On a side note: with all of those short duration runs / cold temps, I hope that you are mindful of needing to change the oil more frequently. 3-4K (or 6 months) max. If you don't, the oil system will develop sludge and cause all sorts of potential drive-ability, performance and engine wear issues. This doesn't happen over night, but if your ride characteristically falls into this category, it pertains.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ran fine again this morning, bad after work. I'll try the gas and Sea Foam. I'm not sure that there is any correlation with adding the gas line antifreeze and my symptoms, but I do know the vehicle ran ok before then. I added the gas line antifreeze as a preventative measure. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you have significant amounts of water in your fuel that wasn't being ingested, the antifreeze will mix with the water and transport it through your fuel system. You can expect rough running for a tank full under those conditions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Used Sea Foam and filled tank. Still not much improvement and I have to drive with the windows down because exhaust smell is so bad. Could it be an exhaust issue or sensor problem? I don't have much money and I'm sure a diagnostic is expensive. Seems to run better at higher speeds though. Just trying to pick people's brains and troubleshoot.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
Auto Parts establishments (here) scan codes for free! There too? :huh:

Fill in your location under "User CP".

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,273 Posts
Great that it was such a simple fix, How did you isolate the problem??

.... Philip

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.