Suzuki Forums banner

61 - 80 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Imagine, thats where I had to work on it... right in the show.... !!! When I started it, I had to put it on 4wd to get it out of there... lol, almost funny.... :))
Years back I broke a axle in my plow truck. It was vital to my business up in the Colorado Mountains. Each day after production and deliveries I put my carharts on and worked on the thing in the spring evenings. A couple of times I froze oversuit into the mud about 20 minutes so after the sun set over the western ridge. We do what we have to I guess.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Years back I broke a axle in my plow truck. It was vital to my business up in the Colorado Mountains. Each day after production and deliveries I put my carharts on and worked on the thing in the spring evenings. A couple of times I froze oversuit into the mud about 20 minutes so after the sun set over the western ridge. We do what we have to I guess.
Well, went to start it this morning and the battery is completely discharged... no beam light at all, no electricity, nothing, So I'll work on this this pm.... if the battery is dead that bad it means a big drain in voltage... so I have to find whats the problem about this....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Bummer. How cold was your overnight? Dead batteries don't perform well once they freeze. But if it didn't freeze solid it should be weakened but still hold enough charge to work on the thing. I'd get that thing on a charger right away.
I generally disconect the battery on cars when they are in a repair mode and I'm not working on them at the moment. Especially if the electrical demons are attacking.
Sounding like an ignition switch? I don't know how you troubleshoot that other than start looking for a leak down. Key on key off. But if it is intermittent?
Just throwing an ignition switch at it given your other reported issues would eliminate the question of the switches condition for sure. But that's generally not my approach. And I don't know what would hurt more the price of the ignition switch or the pain of removing and replacing.
Its cold where you are. That could help you find your issue. In order to have an electrical leak down you have to generate some heat as entropy. I might start with a charged battery, a dead cold vehicle, the key off and start poking around components with a non-contact thermometer?
There is a bigger reason I always disconnect the battery on these things when I don't know what's going on and I'm not actively working on them. I don't like my vehicles burning up. Try to avoid it at all cost.
Good Luck my friend!

·
Registered
214 Posts
OK, my heads cleared a bit now that I've been awake for an hour or so. I often jump to the worst case.
Maybe it's something totally benign. Like a door ajar. Stuck brake light. Once or twice I've inadvertently switched on dome lights getting me or objects out if the vehicle.
The place to start of course, is I would think, to place a meter between your deconnected negative battery terminal and your ground and see what your draw is with the key and all accessories switched off.
Things like the ecu memory, flashing leds, and radio brains always draw something but it should be very slight. Somewhere there are numbers on that I'm sure.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
OK, my heads cleared a bit now that I've been awake for an hour or so. I often jump to the worst case.
Maybe it's something totally benign. Like a door ajar. Stuck brake light. Once or twice I've inadvertently switched on dome lights getting me or objects out if the vehicle.
The place to start of course, is I would think, to place a meter between your deconnected negative battery terminal and your ground and see what your draw is with the key and all accessories switched off.
Things like the ecu memory, flashing leds, and radio brains always draw something but it should be very slight. Somewhere there are numbers on that I'm sure.
I nerver really had to do a drain test but I'm going to do it this pm(if rain can stop)... you're right, it has to be something that drain more énergie than a small light.... as for the weather, it isn't really cold by now, so it can't be a factor.... yesterday I fully charged the battery , just drove it for some min(3 times). So the battery have been completely drained during the night.... I cant wait to see how many amp are being drawn... my bet is between one and 2amp....

·
Super Moderator
24,958 Posts
See post #3 & 4 here, for how to test for a phantom drain using a 12v test light:

·
Registered
214 Posts
John, over in that thread bex mentioned above the poster below the two refered to mentions something I meant to. That being battery condition and conections. I'm sure you checked them over. But you've been doing a lot of cranking in cold weather I would guess that stuff is tough on batteries. If it takes a charge and does this again you might really want to pull it out and get it load tested. At least to eliminate that issue. Problem here is finding someone to load test it. As far as the test light dimming deal I perfer a good meter (like the big boy use) that actually lets you know in measurable units exactly what's going on. I guess you could try the light first if you don't have a proper volt meter than can handle the amperage..

Edit. Mods I posted this in the wrong forum it was meant to post in John965 current 98 x-90 ignition switch thread. If you can move it there it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit 2. Super Thanks Super Mods!

·
Registered
214 Posts
John, I added my two cent to the above post 89 tracker blow.... ( a big opps here but I'm hopeful the mods can move over here)

·
Registered
214 Posts
John this isn't necessarily meant for you because I think you already know as much. But there are others who might lack knowledge of basic troubleshooting who are going to read this.

In that case get yourself a good FSM (suzuki and toyota for two are good here) and read the sections on troubleshooting and precautions with chipped components.

Ive gotta go in a second. But a couple of quick nevers.
Never use an incandescent test lamp. Ied only.
Never voltage test an un plugged component.
Never check resistance to a component or harness plugged into another component .
Always disconnect the battery juicie before disconnecting any harness connectors ir components.

Just a couple of basic quickies. But I urge anyone who's unfamiliar with the basics to get a good service manual and read those sections before beginning electrical troubleshooting or work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Bex , I bought a good multimeter on amazon cause I knew I would get into this. By using it, I'll be able to know exactly how many amp are drained.... but thanks for the info...

Bob , I've got a fsm for sidekick , but its at home (500 miles away!As its still raining a lot, I've watched many vidéos on utube. One of those is "Alternator testing and repair (everything you need to know". Really good info... it says that a bad diodes on the alternator can drain the battery overnight....

So, I remembrer that in the beginning of december, I went to a small garage around here for the guy to change my alternator... after two hours of work he told me that he wasn't able to do it because the headbolt was rounded and it could take many hours if he add to go through this.... (btw, I'm almost sure the headbolt was rounded because he didnt use the right socker)...

Anyway, he worked two hours on it so he could easily brake it trying to force it to move.... if I remembrer I never had any problem before I went there.... all problems began after that....

I already bought a new alternator and starter to install those by myself. I was waiting later this Spring to do it... it was way easier to install those on my sidekick 94 as there's a lot more room to work... I might try to add that work in the next two weeks... I'm almost sure I'll have to unistall few things to get more room to uminstall....

I just got my battery out of the car for a full charge.... so test drain test tonight or tomorrow.... Bob, with that test, my neg cable is going to be out of the battery....

·
Registered
'91 Tracker (CAMI) 1.6-8v, 5spd-4WD
506 Posts
Bex , I bought a good multimeter on amazon cause I knew I would get into this. By using it, I'll be able to know exactly how many amp are drained.... but thanks for the info...

Bob , I've got a fsm for sidekick , but its at home (500 miles away!As its still raining a lot, I've watched many vidéos on utube. One of those is "Alternator testing and repair (everything you need to know". Really good info... it says that a bad diodes on the alternator can drain the battery overnight....

So, I remembrer that in the beginning of december, I went to a small garage around here for the guy to change my alternator... after two hours of work he told me that he wasn't able to do it because the headbolt was rounded and it could take many hours if he add to go through this.... (btw, I'm almost sure the headbolt was rounded because he didnt use the right socker)...

Anyway, he worked two hours on it so he could easily brake it trying to force it to move.... if I remembrer I never had any problem before I went there.... all problems began after that....

I already bought a new alternator and starter to install those by myself. I was waiting later this Spring to do it... it was way easier to install those on my sidekick 94 as there's a lot more room to work... I might try to add that work in the next two weeks... I'm almost sure I'll have to unistall few things to get more room to uminstall....

I just got my battery out of the car for a full charge.... so test drain test tonight or tomorrow.... Bob, with that test, my neg cable is going to be out of the battery....
I'm telling ya, these SHAM (Screwdriver, Hammer, And Monkeywrench) "mechanics" used to hang out around shade trees... now they seem to pop up everywhere!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm telling ya, these SHAM (Screwdriver, Hammer, And Monkeywrench) "mechanics" used to hang out around shade trees... now they seem to pop up everywhere!
My system reacts with a violent allergic reaction if I get near a repair facility. There dangerous places for me. I must give off some kind of scent or vibe that puts them into sealth attack mode.

·
Registered
214 Posts
By the way anyone can download the factory service manuals on faq list here or elsewhere. They should all have a section on trouble shooting electronics. Its 70spretty universal stuff.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's the reason I prefer to fix my car/truck problem by myself.... !!!
Thats why I advise people who can't work on their own vehicles lease the cheapest thing they can from the most reliable company they can. Driving a modern car which is out of factory warranty when you can't fix it can get mighty pricey. Even at the best shops.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Thats why I advise people who can't work on their own vehicles lease the cheapest thing they can from the most reliable company they can. Driving a modern car which is out of factory warranty when you can't fix it can get mighty pricey. Even at the best shops.
To make repairs more easy, you need tools and a place to work on your car.... I remember in summer 2014, I bought a 94 Tracker 4wd, 2d, (almost samething as sidekick) just to learn basic of mechanic... The engine has to be replaced. so I called cdntire and ask them how it would cost to switch an engine on my Tracker... What I did, I took the price they were asking for and went buying tools for the same price in addition of the tools I already add.... At that time I knew very few about mechanic... what I did, I went on ths suzuki site forum and on other site and on utube and I made the switch by miself..!! I remember my biggest problem have been the famour torque converter bolts... (I still can see my messages on this board, I had to create a new one as I didnt remember my password).... Now everytime I have a work to do on my truck (now also on this x-90) , I'm buying some tools as I'm saying to myself that I save a lot of labor money....

And as I'm not home by now, I can see how a garage is making jobs way easier... even more when you dont have 20 years old anymore.....

I've got to refresh my mind on those suzuki , but its coming back....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
To make repairs more easy, you need tools and a place to work on your car.... I remember in summer 2014, I bought a 94 Tracker 4wd, 2d, (almost samething as sidekick) just to learn basic of mechanic... The engine has to be replaced. so I called cdntire and ask them how it would cost to switch an engine on my Tracker... What I did, I took the price they were asking for and went buying tools for the same price in addition of the tools I already add.... At that time I knew very few about mechanic... what I did, I went on ths suzuki site forum and on other site and on utube and I made the switch by miself..!! I remember my biggest problem have been the famour torque converter bolts... (I still can see my messages on this board, I had to create a new one as I didnt remember my password).... Now everytime I have a work to do on my truck (now also on this x-90) , I'm buying some tools as I'm saying to myself that I save a lot of labor money....

And as I'm not home by now, I can see how a garage is making jobs way easier... even more when you dont have 20 years old anymore.....

I've got to refresh my mind on those suzuki , but its coming back....
That's what I got as result after the car sat for about 16h..... I'll try to test the alternator this pm... and in opposition as what I said earlier, the alternator want be tough to replace, but the starter a lottle bit more....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
That's what I got as result after the car sat for about 16h..... I'll try to test the alternator this pm... and in opposition as what I said earlier, the alternator want be tough to replace, but the starter a lottle bit more....

61 - 80 of 138 Posts