Suzuki Forums banner

98 FIREFLY (suzuki) rack and pinion

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  89 FIREBIRD 
#1 ·
I have a 98 FIREFLY (suzuki metro) and at slow speeds when you turn the steering wheel it sounds like the rack and pinion is dry. Is there any way to grease it?

#4 ·
89 FIREBIRD said:
I have a 98 FIREFLY (suzuki metro) and at slow speeds when you turn the steering wheel it sounds like the rack and pinion is dry. Is there any way to grease it?
I have a 99 Firefly with the same problem and it's driving (no pun intended) me nuts. Mine creaks (that's the sound I would use to describe it) both at low speeds and also when the car is not moving and I just crank the wheel from side to side. Doesn't happen all the time but I would say more often than not (seems to go away in wet conditions which makes me think that there's an easy (accessible) solution to this). Any help would be appreciated.

#5 · (Edited)
If the noise seems to be comng from one side of the car only, it is likely that the Tie-rod Dust Boot has cracked and allowed water into the joint and the grease to deteriorate ...you can try to find a Dust Boot but may need to replace Tie-rod. If sound seems to be coming more from the center of the car then likely cause is that the Steering Box Seal has dried out and cracked ...remedy is to disasseble Steering Box to clean, re-pack with grease and replace Seal.

#6 ·
Buzz said:
I have a 99 Firefly with the same problem and it's driving (no pun intended) me nuts. Mine creaks (that's the sound I would use to describe it) both at low speeds and also when the car is not moving and I just crank the wheel from side to side. Doesn't happen all the time but I would say more often than not (seems to go away in wet conditions which makes me think that there's an easy (accessible) solution to this). Any help would be appreciated.
SOUND like my 98 Firefly
If you find out how to fix it please let me know..because it also drives me nuts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.