Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha from Hawaii! I've read through posts before and found them helpful, so I want all who participate.

This is my first post and unfortunately need assistance. I have a 98 GLX Wagon auto with noises, vibrations, and clunking coming from the front passenger side.

Originally on a smooth road, all was fine, then a slight clunk started when driving over bumps or uneven surfaces. It's progressed from a clunk once in a while to what now seems like a clunking/rattling, still only when suspension moves, but is becoming more sensitive and noisy. Freeway travel was always super smooth with no noticable issues. Now, at @ 40mph and over, there's a bumping being felt, seems like passenger side again, that increases with speed. Unlike the articulation rattle, this seems to be related to a component that's spinning (half shaft maybe?).

I recently had the front end lifted with both tires off. Attempts to grab the rotors and other suspension components to recreate the noises were unsuccessful. I did notice a slight tear in my drivers outer CV boot, but not bad and no noises come from this side anyway. I did feel about an inch of wiggle or slack in the tie rod on the passenger side and even less on the driver's side. All other components appear to be connected and normal.

In summary: the suspension clunking is increasing with intensity at all speeds but only on bumpy surfaces and now at 40mph and higher there's a rotational bumping being felt.

I'm sticking to side roads, no freeway travel but definitely could use guidance on where to focus on in finding the issue for repair. I'm mechanically inclined and installed suspension lift kits on 4x4 trucks in the past, but can't identify the origins of these symptoms.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much appreciated Brit101. Following the link you sent had presented other rabbit holes to follow. At the moment, I'm leaning towards a broken shock/strut mount. That would at least answer all of the rattling and clunking noises I've experienced.

As for the rotational noise that was recently experienced, I'm leaning towards the CV joint. I'm still waiting for an opportunity to get under the car to investigate further and welcome additional input that and experience that this forum might hold.

I'll report back on findings after I have the time to probe further. Thank you again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally was able to lift up and inspect underneath today. Here's my findings in regards to the rattling/clunking noises:

* Drivers side:
While lifted but with tires still on, I did a preliminary check on the ball joints, up & down movement, and tie rods, side to side movement.

Ball joints are solid, absolutely zero movement. Tie rods were sloppy with maybe 3/4" of wiggle. The slack seems all be on the outer section. Also noticed, but not likely a source of the noises, were torn outer & inner CV boots.

* Passenger side:
Tie rods again, same as the other side, except the tie rod wiggle is worse, and no torn CV boots.

All other bushings and joints looked to be in good shape. This brings me to my first question. Is it possible for slack/wiggle with both tie rod ends to make the noises I'm hearing?

Two pictures are attached showing the slack in the drivers side outter tie rod link at the rotors.

If not the tie rods, what could then? If the tie rod ends are making noises, what's the best approach for repairing? Any part numbers and/or instructions are greatly appreciated.

I welcome all comments, relative or not, and appreciate any input contributed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
any movement at rack end of tie rods is a concern. will make steering vague and there will be klunks.

Replace torn CV boots NOW, hopefully you can save the CV joints, wash and new grease, dirt will have gotten in there, any grease left in them is all now grinding paste. If they are making clicking sounds at full lock under load (full lock, let clutch out apply gas) then they are toast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts