Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so here's my deal. I have a 98 Esteem GLX Plus Wagon, 1.6L, 16v. with 260K miles. Gave it a tuneup when bought(plugs wires filters oil change etc).
I started having issues with it dying on me at stop signs and red lights. Drives beautifully otherwise. I get no codes to tell me there is an issue. I have replaced the following: Fuel Pump, Fuel Injectors, EGR, IAC, Throttle position sensor, O2 Sensor and Altenator with no change. Strangely enough, I noticed that it stopped happening when the weather got cooler typically below 60deg.
I currently have adjusted the idle speed higher to keep it from completely dying, but it still stutters at times. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Considering all you've replaced, I'm going to guess you probably have checked the battery and made sure the oil is full? If that slipped your mind, definitely check that because I've had an old battery cause this problem as well as low oil. This is how I recently found out that my engine was slowly consuming a little bit of oil.

It could also be corroded wires or a bad connection somewhere. I had some severely corroded wires on mine when I bought it and it caused all kind of intermittent, unpredictable problems until I found and replaced all of the corroded ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Considering all you've replaced, I'm going to guess you probably have checked the battery and made sure the oil is full? If that slipped your mind, definitely check that because I've had an old battery cause this problem as well as low oil. This is how I recently found out that my engine was slowly consuming a little bit of oil.

It could also be corroded wires or a bad connection somewhere. I had some severely corroded wires on mine when I bought it and it caused all kind of intermittent, unpredictable problems until I found and replaced all of the corroded ones.
Thanks for the input. I have noticed that my voltage fluctuates and drops to around 12v sometimes, but since I had replaced the alternator, I assumed that was "normal" for the vehicle.

So, just this week, it has some new issues. It either won't shift into OD, or does not stay in OD if it does get there. And my temp gauge quit working. checked my OBD app and my temp is not getting above about 115. Just turned 261K on it, so now I'm wondering if it is worth the time and money to rebuild it or just get something else.

Thanks again for the response.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
you have corroded wiring connections, none of what you have fired the parts cannon at has worked. Voltage dropping is certainly not normal. should be about 13.8 to 14.5 with the car running and charging. What you are describing all points to a main fusible link or other common power connection being the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you have corroded wiring connections, none of what you have fired the parts cannon at has worked. Voltage dropping is certainly not normal. should be about 13.8 to 14.5 with the car running and charging. What you are describing all points to a main fusible link or other common power connection being the issue.
Thanks again for the response. I am going to go through it and see what I can find with the wiring. And get a new battery.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
battery won't cause the "voltage dropping". If its starting the car ok, then the battery is fine. Fix the actual cause before replacing things unnecessarily

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
battery won't cause the "voltage dropping". If its starting the car ok, then the battery is fine. Fix the actual cause before replacing things unnecessarily
2013GV,

I'm definitely gonna go through the wiring first. I do not know any of the maintenance history on this vehicle and not sure how old the current battery is. I would feel better with a new battery anyways. I'll have the current one tested and, if good, keep it as a spare.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for not posting a follow-up. So I replaced the battery, and the cable ends(which were badly corroded-had to cut the wire back about an inch). Car ran great with no stalling issues. UP UNTIL LAST WEEK :confused::confused:
So, I figured that the battery cables should be replaced. Replaced them, ALL. Still stalling.
Currently residing at my wits end.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi. What I think you should do is check for vacuum leaks. Also, clean your throttle body butterfly to make sure it's all nice and clean and small amount of air as you idle gets in there w/o problems. Clean whatever little passages there are in that area where the throttle body butterfly is. I think that might solve it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts