Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed timing belt, can&crank seals, water pump. I got it all back together and it ran great. Once I cut it off it wouldn’t start back up unless I stayed in the gas pedal. Once it’s running it does good over 2000rpm but under that it drops off and stalls. Any ideas?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,903 Posts
Re check the timing, both engine and ignition..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done both. Rechecked timing between cam and crank and they were right on the money. I’m trying to get ignition back in time now bc I pulled the distributor to verify everything. It’s just weird that it ran perfectly fine for about 10 mins then I cut it off and after like 2 mins off it wouldn’t start back up unless I held the gas down.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I presume you have the 1.6 engine...

You have timed the CAM to #4 TDC(c) and the ignition to #1 5deg BTDC.

What are the compression numbers like ??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes 16v, cam timed to #4 and ignition to #1. Don’t have a compressor test just yet. But it’s looking like I need to

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Waiting with batted breath..

·
Super Moderator
24,271 Posts
Hmmm....by any chance when you changed the timing belt, did you remove the 17mm crank bolt in order to do this? You’re not supposed to, but if you did, you need to confirm that you retorqued that bolt to 94 ft/lbs.
Note that when you need to depress the gas pedal in order to start, you are stopping fuel delivery. Check your spark plug tips - do they indicate (when you try to start the car normally and it doesn’t start) that the engine is flooding?? Are the tips wet?

·
Super Moderator
13,168 Posts
Note that when you need to depress the gas pedal in order to start, you are stopping fuel delivery.
Please note - to stop fuel delivery whilst cranking the gas pedal needs to be "fully" depressed - wide open throttle - a part open throttle admits additional air without stopping the fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I removed the crank bolt to replace the crank seal. Key and key way were good, torqued back to 94ftlbs. Not having to press gas all the way just enough to get it started but if I let out it drops rpms like crazy and dies

·
Super Moderator
24,271 Posts
That means that the engine is starving for air ...do you only have to do that at cold start, or must you do that every time you start the car??

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
Check for obstruction in the air box and pipework leading to the inlet manifold for a start, what conditions the air filter in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also noticed that now the air bag light flashes 6-7 times now. It did not do that before. Does that mean anything

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Airway is clear, air filter is like a month old. Now I can’t get it to start at all, I changed the plugs and wires but still nothing. I noticed i can’t get the dizzy pointing right at #1 post even tho the cam and crank is lined up perfect

1 - 14 of 14 Posts