Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Caribbean (St. Kitts) and have what I have been told is a "Japanese Domestic" vehicle. Nobody can read the ECU with OBD II device to diagnose my Check Engine Light and performance issues.

I believe that I need a coolant temperature sensor and need help finding a source...thank you, all! Other diagnoses are most welcome.

DETAILS:

From the engine plate: 1997 Suzuki Escudo, Type: E-TD51W, Chassis: TD51W, Engine: J20A 1995cc

PERFORMANCE ISSUES:

Cannot hold idle on cold start (check engine light immediately comes on). After temp. reaches maximum, car can hold an idle at a stop, but not well. Fuel-air mixture is very rich - am burning lots of fuel. Have lost about 1/2 of normal power. This has been going on for 3 months.

Prior to this, it was doing the opposite fro 3 months: great cold start, runs well until temperature hits maximum, then stalls while driving and check engine light comes on, and runs rough and rich thereafter.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
... From the engine plate: 1997 Suzuki Escudo, Type: E-TD51W, Chassis: TD51W, Engine: J20A 1995cc ...
As it has a J20 motor and is a JDM model, I'd suspect this is a rounded bodied model that most of the rest of the world did not see until 1999. (See: Suzuki Escudo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) As Japan has different rules, I also doubt it has OBD2. Rhino would know more. If I am correct, when looking for parts MOST should match 1999 US Vitara/Tracker models... other than computers, wires and most sensors. :(

·
Administrator
16,319 Posts
Suzuki Diagnostics

A 97 Escudo will not be OBDII compliant, however, you should be able to pull the codes with nothing more than a paperclip and the check engine light - see the Rhinopower link above for more details.

Rhinopower also sells a USB interface that can be used to connect a laptop to the car and provides software that will enable you to read the codes and also look at the live data from the various sensors, which can be very helpful - in this case it would allow you to see what temperature the coolant temperature sensor is reporting.

I'm just guessing here, but my suspicion is that you'll find the code points to the MAF sensor - let us know what you get and we'll see how much help we can provide.

Please note the last line of Mike's post - the ECU may be unique to the Japanese market, and sensors may be different.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
The sensors on the JDM models are usually the same. I don't currently have an interfaces in stock, I have a new design coming out soon.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Thought about it and did a google search on the chassis type: Chassis: TD51W

Seems it is more like what is known in the US as a Sport model ('96 to '98) ... but with a J20 rather than the J18. (the rounded model I was thinking of is a Chassis: TD52W)

Used Suzuki Escudo sold from Japan Chassis TD51W-104162 FOB Price USD 4260 » Japanese Used Cars and Vehicles From Japan Find More Used Cars On » JapanTradeCar.com

I'm thinking this might be a source for a computer for engine swaps to J20 to J24... if they happen to be OBD2. (I doubt it.)

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Japan didn't go to EOBD until 2006

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is some great information from Rhino. However, I cannot locate either a 4- or 6-pin connector. The fuse box did not have the diagnostic socket.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
On the (RHD) 1.6 of that year the connector is above the driver's side headlight.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Its the white one, it should have had that rubber cover over it. Can you take a picture of whereabouts it is? - it might help others.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 6-pin connector is located on the driver's (RHD) side of the engine compartment (J20A 2.0 liter engine) about halfway between headlight and firewall. It is mounted vertically on a slide-off metal stand and has a rubber cap. It is encircled in the attached picture. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks all!

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
You seem to have a blocked off connection on the top of the airbox, is there a pipe somewhere that should go to that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was left over from an HHO system I had installed a couple of years ago with some success in gas mileage improvement.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I am wondering about the item (pump?) mounted to the cross brace almost over the master cylinder.

·
Administrator
16,319 Posts
Some of the JDM vehicles of that era had the pneumatic front freewheel setup that was used on the next generation of vehicles (99~05) - that's the pump that runs the front diff - I have a spare that I took off of a front cut from a JDM 1.6 Escudo, and that's where it was mounted.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Just in case you need to know the pins to jump - here is the info from Rhino's site:
Check Engine Light

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fordem - great diagnosis! I got a "34" code indicating a MAF signal low, or faulty or bad connection. I have attached a pic of my engine...which one of these sensors is the MAF? Any recommendations on proceeding, like cleaning contacts, before sensor replacement (if I can even find one on this small island of 40,000 people)? Thanks, all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've done some research since my last post and it appears that cleaning the MAF wire with a specialized spray solvent, and waiting until completely dry to re-install, seems to be the logical initial attempt. Next step would be to replace the sensor, which is an HITACHI AFH55M-13. I have seen many posts with warnings about which brand to purchase. Anyone have any additional thoughts or recommendations on moving forward? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts