Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used hard top to put on my soft top. also just found out that 95-98 doesn't have the weather stripping already on the tracker. this looks like a very hard part to find. are there any alternatives for this so I can get the top on with as little leaks as possible?

·
Super Moderator
23,916 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A soft top Tracker wouldn’t have the weather stripping that would be needed for an aftermarket hard top. Did you buy the hard top used or from a vendor? Do you know the manufacturer of the hard top? Normally the aftermarket tops will use the weatherstrip that is already on the ‘sunroof’ area of the car, but all rear weatherstripping would be part of the hardtop itself. Where is your top leaking from??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bex, the hardtop is used and I believe an oem one. the front has the seal on the tracker but my rear does not. if you look at instructions for say rallytops they mention the rear weatherseal for the 95-98 do not have it on. I have not attempted to put on yet as I wanted to be sure to have everything before hand.

·
Super Moderator
23,916 Posts
There was no OEM removable hard top made for Trackers or Suzuki Sidekicks, so your hard top will be aftermarket, and made by companies like Rally Tops, Bestops, or something similar. I looked at the instructions for Rallytops - which actually have you removing everything around the opening at the rear of the car so that there is only bare metal there, when the hard top is affixed. The photos don’t show any weatherstrip being added, other than what is actually affixed to the top itself.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
There was no OEM removable hard top made for Trackers or Suzuki Sidekicks, so your hard top will be aftermarket, and made by companies like Rally Tops, Bestops, or something similar. I looked at the instructions for Rallytops - which actually have you removing everything around the opening at the rear of the car so that there is only bare metal there, when the hard top is affixed. The photos don’t show any weatherstrip being added, other than what is actually affixed to the top itself.
My RallyTop actually did come with weatherstripping. The posted install instructions are for 89- 94.
B95

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Parts Provided:
  • 2ea. Allen Head M6 x 65 Socket Cap Screws
  • 2ea. Hex Head M6 x 60 Screw
  • 4ea. 1/4” x 1” Fender Washers
  • 2ea. Rear Clamps
  • 2ea. 5/8” Washers
  • 2ea. Wing Nuts
  • 1ea. Perimeter Seal (1995-1998 models only)
  • 1ea. Instruction Sheet

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe it looks like a besttop from the rear. thank you for posting that Bear, do you have a picture of the provided seal? is it a common looking seal or specialty?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually I can see what style it is from the link. thanks again for posting that does look pretty common.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It has been years since I have had the rear off, so I don't exactly remember, and that seal isn't listed in replacement parts. They do show a seal for the Sami and Jeep and i bet they use the same seal for all applications. If you have a question you can contact them, I have before for a window lock. I read somewhere on here years ago that some used trunk seals from large cars like a Lincoln or Caddie.
B95

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I'm doubtful if this will shed any light on the seal issue, however, it may help any, new to them, Bestop refitters. EDIT: For any new Bestop installers, upon review of the install instructions, the mount brackets/clips shown in the PDF file are not representative of the actual brackets, hence, the instruction drawings maybe generic for the wide array of tops Bestop constructed at the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
but based on this top it does solve the seal issue for using this one. step two remove the rubber seal. but I do see something different in the instructions that are on mine. step 8 my top does not have a latch on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but doing a google search it appears they use the stock latch and not the one in the instructions. I will soon find out. prolly start there just in case as well.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
For the front section the OEM seal is used. I see the front latch is there you use the OEM latch to attach. IDK how the rear of it would connect.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Bestop hardtop front latch in-situ.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so the fun continues but will deal with them as they show up. one side window was cracked so I went to unscrew it and all the screw sleeves were loose. makes me think that's why it was sold but oh well. so now getting them out with anchors was a pain and left large holes. so hopefully get the windows cut this weekend and either use rubber wellnuts or find a filler for poly to remount the window. will get 2 of them cut in case. I also see now what people have a hard time installing these as they flex out quite a bit when left unattached. I will use a propane heater close to it (not under it) to warm it up before I try to install. that way at least it wont be so cold and will flex a little more.

I also might get the hardware for the rally tops or from grainger to add back clips to the front part. my back 2 parts are still their but both have a corner broke off. hoping this will keep the back side from coming up and the back clips from breaking the rest and flying off.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
"all the screw sleeves were loose"
I used JB Weld & nutserts for my repair.

"hopefully get the windows cut this weekend and either use rubber wellnuts or find a filler for poly to remount the window. "
The original window glass was, convex and tempered. The glass had holes in the 4 corners with nylon bushing/locators as well as rubber gaskets & washers to allow for expansion and contraction. If you are going to use plexiglass or another plastic, please consider that it is not very rigid, as opposed to glass, and will, in probability, not seal well. Ask me how I know. :)

"I also might get the hardware for the rally tops or from grainger to add back clips to the front part."
I made my own, initially from angle iron, then, aluminum.

If you PM me your email address, I can provide you with some photos & more of my experience, as I have owned 3 of these Bestops.

Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts