Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'96 Sport 1.8L AC does not blow adequate cold air
My 96 Sport 1.8L does not blow adequate cold air! I bring the car to get checked by a mechanic shop. They connect a gauge set and check the system. The gauge on the left side (if we stand in front of the car) points to the number of more than 30 and they said the compressor is weak which is required to be replaced with a new one and there is no way to repair it.

They also said that they can modify a compressor from other cars to fit into the Sport engine and charge a very high price.
Is it true that the number 30 means the compressor need to be replaced right away? Or Is there any way to repair it?
Your help is highly appreciated!

Edit: This is R134a freon under the hood.
The air flow from the blower is strong in all positions.
The compressor shaft spins fast.
the outdoor temp here is always between 30c to 40c, real hot!
When AC is engaged, bubbles appear through the glass at the receiver dryer for several minutes before they stand still.
However, the air is not really cold!

Could it be a problem? Because I have bypassed the coolant tube for heater core back to the engine.
I don't need heat all years, need only cold air!

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
I preface this by saying I know very little about A/C. However, my FSM advises that if you see bubbles in the sight glass, it is normally an 'insufficient charge' of the refrigerant in the system, rather than neding a replacement of the compressor. Additionally, with regard to the compressor, if there is insufficient cooling due to an actual compressor problem, it is advised that there may be a defective gasket or 'reed valve' in the compressor that can be replaced. Of course, whether or not this last sentence is applicable to your car, I can't say. There is some info here, however, regarding the gauge test results:
http://densoautoparts.com/sites/default/files/tech-tips/DENSO AC troubleshooting tips.pdf
Hopefully, someone else will chime in here.....

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the information.
I copied the sticker under the hood:
SAE J639 Charge R-134a Refrigerant Oil
Max 0.65kg (143lbs) 0.15kg (5.3oz)
Min 0.55kg (121lbs) Model No. SS10V1

Are these the maximum and minimum capacities for charging the refrigerant oil? And Do we need to monitor these numbers for proper AC performance?

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
The pressure of "30" is I assume in PSI and the low side (suction) pressure in your case. We really need to know shop ambient temp, HIGH side pressure, engine RPM and cabin fan speed setting to better assess.

Normal is about 200- 220 pressures on the high side and about 25-30 pressure on the low side at idle, and at 1,500 RPM...220- 230 pressures on the high side and about 20-27 Pressures on the low side, fan on high, 80F shop temp.

Bubbles in the sight glass initially that disappear as the system settles out is normal at idle. At 1500 RPM + and bubbles reappear, it is an indication of a low charge. Again, need pressure readings to confirm charge state.

Lastly, a temperature drop (diffuser outlet verses ambient temp) of at least 20F is considered adequate cooling.

Many factors come into play with regard to A/C performance. Condenser, radiator,, evaporator, cabin filter CLEANLINESS amongst them. And speed of the vehicle (movement of air through the condenser) and engine / compressor RPM are other important parameters which impact cooling.

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
Ah, THERE is someone who knows something about A/C...!! ;)

·
Administrator
16,335 Posts
Question for you Max...

Bubbles in the sight glass initially that disappear as the system settles out is normal at idle
In my experience (and I'm definitely not in your class) what I've observed is a very brief, flurry of bubbles, gone in a matter of 10~15 seconds - but the original posted has said "several minutes before they stand still" and that "stand still" could be interpreted to mean that he is still seeing a bubble.

What time frame would you consider as normal?

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
OH! And on the sticker info provided...

Max 0.65kg (143lbs) 0.15kg (5.3oz)
Min 0.55kg (121lbs) Model No. SS10V1

I think that you missed a decimal point or two. ;)

For instance,

0.65kg equals 1.43lbs, (22.9 ounces) which is more appropriate as to the total charge quantity.

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
What time frame would you consider as normal?
That's a good question! :)

10-15 seconds for sure, but IF rather hot out and cabin A/C settings are set for maximum cooling effort (demand), it may well take several minutes for the system to settle out "bubble free".

This variance is also HIGHLY influenced by compressor (engine) RPM as well (fast idle / slow idle / or manually raised higher) speeds.

But again, those observations are used in conjunction with high and low side pressure specs in determining a proper charge state. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts