Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 suzuki sidekick 4x4 5speed 1.6Liter 16valve
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey getting error code P0406 and with it my gas mileage goes to maybe 15mpg. I inspected wires to ogr sensor, took of ogr valve and cleaned it and replaced gasket. Car ran great for 15miles then service engine light came back on and now it is parked. Should i just bite the bullet and buy the new ogr position sensor or is there another more likely culprit.

·
Super Moderator
23,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please advise exactly what you are driving - the year, engine, tranny, etc., as well as your location.
Hmm...Suzuki doesn’t have a P0406 that I know of. Are you sure that this is the code? Do you have your own scanner? I would suspect that perhaps your issue has to do with the EGR system, possibly, as P0400 deals with that. For other vehicles, this code means that your EGR system is seeing high voltage, and can be caused by a wiring problem, bad connection, carbon buildup in the circuit, etc. When you advised that you cleaned the EGR, did you just clean the valve itself, or the whole circuit (ie, the intake and exhaust ports that you see when the valve is off)? Often you would need to clean the circuit a number of times, in order to get it cleared.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1996 suzuki sidekick 1.6L 16valve 4x4 5speed manual cleaned the valve itself. Going to tear back into it today and clean the port/tube to throttle body

·
Super Moderator
23,996 Posts
Some people try with a stiff wire or similar, attached to a reversible, variable speed drill, and using carb cleaner, ream out the ports as far in as they can go. Then, with the valve still off the car, start the engine for about 1-2 seconds. It will rev very high, and hopefully will blow some loosened carbon out for you. You’ll be able to tell if the ports are clear by doing the ‘stall test’. When the EGR is back on the car, start it and get it to operating temp. Then carefully push the diaphragm forward (without burning your fingers). The engine should try to stall. If not, the passages are still blocked. Note that the diaphragm should snap back strongly on the spindle that it rides on. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some people try with a stiff wire or similar, attached to a reversible, variable speed drill, and using carb cleaner, ream out the ports as far in as they can go. Then, with the valve still off the car, start the engine for about 1-2 seconds. It will rev very high, and hopefully will blow some loosened carbon out for you. You’ll be able to tell if the ports are clear by doing the ‘stall test’. When the EGR is back on the car, start it and get it to operating temp. Then carefully push the diaphragm forward (without burning your fingers). The engine should try to stall. If not, the passages are still blocked. Note that the diaphragm should snap back strongly on the spindle that it rides on. Good luck.
So yesterday we cleaned all the tubes and ports we could seem to find. We had airflow everywhere it seemed. Cleaned as much as we could get to in throttle body (lot of black in throttle body behind the butterfly flap) biggest issue we found yesterday was a rat nest in the air box. Havent done the stall test but maybe ill try that today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts