Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a question. I've removed the silver plastic body trim/fender flares and the side-skirts on my '96 JLX. Having taken care of corrosion in those places, I want to remove the rest of the trim for corrosion treatment and possibly repainting the trim. But, I've run into a problem on the doors: I have no idea where to start to get the plastic off and break as few fasteners as possible. :D Do I need to go in from the inside and take off all the panels out or does it pull off like the front fender plastic did? Anyone ever done this before?

·
Super Moderator
24,382 Posts
I'm not sure about the Sport, but the door trim on the Trackick is glued on - normally you remove this with heat, etc - sometimes a hair dryer works. Maybe someone else knows specific to the Sport....Conversely, if you get no other info, you could always remove the inner door panel and peek behind the weather protector to see there are fasteners.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, these are on with clips. But I am not sure if you can get to all of them from the inside, but you might be able to. A lot of times the reinforcement bars are in the way depending on the vehicle. Here is a pic of my 96 Sport parts car rear door with the molding removed so you can see what type of clips are on there......

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
most collision repair places will sell you the clips for a minimal cost, I also use good quality body adhesive tape to help hold the panels on, they never seem to fit quite right after you have pulled them off.

·
Super Moderator
24,382 Posts
I would imagine if you can get behind where ever the clips are located (ie, removing door and rear panels) you should be able to get to the clip from the back. The are normally expanding clips, where you can pinch the legs of them, push them slightly through the holes and then pull the trim off from the outside.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Usually there are screws at the ends of the panels. Once you've undone those you need to pull/push the panels horizontally to remove the panels from the clips. If you try to pull the panel off you will damage the panel and the clips.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Usually there are screws at the ends of the panels. Once you've undone those you need to pull/push the panels horizontally to remove the panels from the clips. If you try to pull the panel off you will damage the panel and the clips.
Actually, that won't work. The clip retainers do not all face the same way, so you cannot simply slide the panel one way and remove it. I have worked on cars as a body man my entire life, and rarely see any that can be removed that way. After removing any screws that are accessible in the door jamb, about all you can do it use a long clip too trying carefully to pop them off. That is assuming you cannot or do not want to take the inner trim panel off and try from the inside.

Chances are the clips will stay attached to the door and one or two retainers may bust loose from the panel. A good two-part adhesive will glue the retainers back where they belong. Done it many times, especially on Toyota 4runner fender flares. Here is a pic of the trim panel off my parts car, you can see the retainers going all different directions. The one down in the left rear corner is the only retainer that broke, but is an easy fix. I bought the car this way, so not sure how or why the panel was removed.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump! Thanks for your input guys. I have all of my trim off now and never looked back at the thread, just got to clean it up. I was going to take some pictures for future readers, but Kodiak pretty much beat me. (Though I will still probably take some).

Now, I'm not actually going to put them back on. My next step is removing the metal that holds the trim to the rear doors. Should be straightforward, looks to be attached with pop/blind mechanical locking rivets. I've spent a good chunk of my life removing the things in aviation :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
24,382 Posts
Hopefully no rusty surprises underneath.....!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts