Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of some expert help. Putting a 96 tracker 5 speed in my 95 formerly auto trans. I'll list my questions by number so it will be easier to answer each one.
1. Is the wiring harness for 95 autos and manuals the same? Main problem is I can't find the connection for the Clutch safety switch. i am also uncertain what to do with wires from the Auto shifter and the gear switch that mounts on the passenger side of transmission.
2. If there is a difference in the harness, can I run a wire from the start terminal on the starter up to the clutch switch and then back to the starter solenoid? If yes, what wire gauge is needed?(The wiring harness wire for solenoid is twice the size as the wiring on the clutch switch)
3. Will my "Auto" ECM be compatible with the 5 speed Manual ?
Thanks in Advance for your help!

·
Super Moderator
23,972 Posts
Putting a 96 engine (OBD2) into a 95 vehicle (OBD1) means some circuit, sensor and harness issues. In answer to your question, however, both the auto safety switch and clutch safety switch get their power from the black/red wire coming from the ignition switch going into the respective switches, and out with the black/yellow wire going to the ECU (yellow connector, post 11). The auto tranny has an additional ECU connection for the park/neutral switch in ECU post 12. You’ll be able to find wiring diagrams here, in section 6 for the ECU control module and sensors:
Your auto ECU will run the 5 speed manual tranny (although you may get a CEL for the torque converter, which is now missing).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Putting a 96 engine (OBD2) into a 95 vehicle (OBD1) means some circuit, sensor and harness issues. In answer to your question, however, both the auto safety switch and clutch safety switch get their power from the black/red wire coming from the ignition switch going into the respective switches, and out with the black/yellow wire going to the ECU (yellow connector, post 11). The auto tranny has an additional ECU connection for the park/neutral switch in ECU post 12. You’ll be able to find wiring diagrams here, in section 6 for the ECU control module and sensors:
Your auto ECU will run the 5 speed manual tranny (although you may get a CEL for the torque converter, which is now missing).
Thanks for the quick response, I was hoping you would respond! You are a Tracker Legend ! Just for clarification, I'm only swapping trans. My engine, wiring harness are both original 95 Tracker. The Trans. is from a 96 model. So, it sounds to me like I can use the same wires from my auto shifter to run to my clutch switch, right? As for the additional ECU connection for park/neutral switch in ECU,post 12, I looked at the diagrams in section 6 and I'm still not understanding what I need to do with the above mentioned additional connection? What am I missing? Thanks for your help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts