Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 1.6L, 8 valve '95 Sidekick engine. How do I use the engine serial number to trace back to the original VIN to determine the mileage on the engine when it was removed from the 'kick?

·
Registered
158 Posts
It may be possible but I think records would still be iffy at best. It might not even be the original engine in the Kick it came from. I'd contact where you got it from, and perhaps they still have the shell laying around, or records of it still, or even remember something about it.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I do not think it is possible to connect the engine "serial number" to a VIN. You might be able to do this with something newer, but not on the TracKick's covered on this forum.

If you do find out how, let us know. I like to know if something I believe is wrong.... it makes me "more correct" in the future.

But, even if you could find the VIN and then from that find the mileage, how important is that? While it isn't bad for "general knowledge" it doesn't tell you how the motor was treated... what kind of miles and how often the oil was changed. It also doesn't tell you if it was only in ONE body before you got it.

You have the engine. A good inspection plus compression and leak down tests will give you more information than mileage ever will.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I also wondered all those things but also have to ask don't the sellers usu. mention how many miles on the engine?

·
Super Moderator
24,471 Posts
I don't think that you can - there is nothing on the engine number that will correlate to the vehicle ID, other than indicating the year, engine size and plant that the engine was made in. There are no documents that I know of, other than perhaps something at the plant where the car was made, that correlates the vehicle ID to the engine. And frankly, even if you did find the original car, there is no confirmed way to indicate what the real mileage is. Even with the VIN, you would only get the last reported mileage. No choice but to do forensic analysis on the surface of the cylinder wall....;)

·
Super Moderator
24,471 Posts
I think much of the above would also be due to maintenance, and not necessarily actual mileage. A poorly maintained engine will look far worse with those parameters, than a high mileage but maintained engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts