Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
What kind of noise?? Have you checked the fluid in both the tranny and the differential?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bex: the transfer case is new, rebuilt. both have fresh Pennzoil Sycromesh. they had a thicker gear oil and the 5th gear was quieter. the sound is like worn gears or a bad bearing. only on decceleration not on acceleration.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Hopefully you didn't put the same oil in the tranny/transfer case and also in the differential?? Have you ever checked/changed the front and rear diff oil?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hopefully you didn't put the same oil in the tranny/transfer case and also in the differential??
Unless it's an oil rated for both GL-4 and GL-5, I've seen some. Otherwise, GL-4 in the tranny/transfer case and GL-5 in the diffs.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Unless it's an oil rated for both GL-4 and GL-5, I've seen some. Otherwise, GL-4 in the tranny/transfer case and GL-5 in the diffs.
Actually the biggest difference is if it is "hypoid gear oil" or not. Conventional (non-synthetic) hypoid gear oil has sulphur compounds that make the hypoid gears run better. BUT the sulphur damages the "yellow metal" found in the transmission and transfer case.

There is a short blurb here: Gear oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
EP additives which contain phosphorous/sulfurous compounds are corrosive to yellow metals such as the copper and/or brass used in bushings and synchronizers; the GL1 class of gear oils does not contain any EP additives and thus finds use in applications which contain parts made of yellow metals.

GL-5 is not necessarily backward-compatible in synchro-mesh transmissions which are designed for a GL-4 oil: GL-5 has a lower coefficient of friction due to the higher concentration of EP additives over GL-4, and thus synchros can not engage as effectively. Also, transmissions which explicitly call for GL-4 oil may have been designed around this lower concentration of EP additives and thus may contain yellow metal parts which GL-5 will corrode.
SOME synthetic gear oils will work in both GL4 and GL5 applications.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BEX: the question concerns the relative fragility of 5th gear in these trucks, not oil selection. my original question specified that when i got the truck i changed the gear lube in the transmission to Penzoil Syncormesh. it's about 70wt and thinner than what i found in there. the noise got worse. please read my questions before offering advise. i'm 65 years old and a lifelong automotive/motorcycle builder, restorer, mechanic. i have a complete, fully equipped shop and currently restore pre-war BMW motorcycles. 25 years restoring cars. now almost 20 on motorcycles. all that is to say, i'm not an 18 year old newbie. this is my 1st Suzuki and i'm trying to get up to speed on their weak points. i like the truck, but it is Jap and not an old Mercedes. what i want to know is 1) is 5th gear normally noisy off throttle? 2)how fragile the 5th gear is on these trucks?, if so what wears; bearing. gear, output shaft?, and how difficult is a repair. i'm not trying to be a smart alec, but for the record, i understand about lubricants. and by the way thanks to all you guys for responding.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,273 Posts
Please read my questions before offering advise. i'm 65 years old and a lifelong automotive/motorcycle builder, restorer, mechanic.
just bought a 95 sidekick with 135 thousand miles. 5th gear is noisy around 65mph with my foot off the gas. sounds worn out. is this common and how bads the fix??
With your back ground and experience, would it not be more productive to just use a stethoscope and/or just drop the box and do you own trouble shooting. Rather than lambast the assistance offered... Which is a result of years of similar issues, caused (mostly) by improper lubrication..
Maybe your first post should have provided more professional diagnostics, and up to date service record..

... Philip

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine has been making noise in 3rd and 5th gears for some time now. My transmission mechanic told me that the bearings on these are small and relatively weak and often last only 100k mi.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aquanaut20: i have 3 used trucks, 2 used cars, 6 old motorcycles and 3 restorations underway. frankly i don't have time to take stuff apart and go exploring, looking for trouble. exactly what i am trying to avoid. first i read the manuals and then i go to forums to see if other people are experiencing similar problems. saves lots of wasted time. finally, GaryS sent a nice, short reply confirming my suspicions. THANKS GaryS. scoulding me for not being industrious enough is not really helpful and doesn't answer my questions. no offense intended RedDirtRanger

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,273 Posts
GaryS's reply is hearsay, there is no empirical evidence that the transmissions in these vehicles are weak..

The amount of wear and stress is linked to maintenance schedules and use..

... Philip

·
Registered
101 Posts
GaryS's reply is hearsay, there is no empirical evidence that the transmissions in these vehicles are weak..

The amount of wear and stress is linked to maintenance schedules and use..

... Philip
It is true that mechanics only see the cars with problems, so sometimes their generalizations are not accurate, but he did say that the bearings are very small compared to other vehicles.(and yes this is a smaller vehicle than most too) So when he says "many" or "most" it might be a small minority, but that doesn't mean that this isn't a common potential problem. I don't think that I have been any harder on this vehicle or worse at maintaining it than any other I have had, but this if the first one with this issue.

I hope we can all unruffle our feathers and get some valuable information shared

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
x2. Anecdotal information can be misleading - driving, maintenance and wear issues will not necessarily be the same between two cars. In any event, this is not a 'known' issue in these cars, and such difficulties would normally be due to poor maintenance rather than a design issue.
Perhaps the earlier post was a bit misleading insofar as any expertise was concerned, as you indicate that the transfer case is new, yet the transfer case would not normally be an issue with noise specific to one gear - additionally, by the way, it has its own oil plug. The tranny in these cars is no different than other manual trannys that you advise you restore. Noise in the transmission will be due to poor lubrication (so you may want to address whether thinner oil is an issue), damaged bearings, damaged gears, damaged synchronizer ring, a damaged tooth, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hey Gary: i'm with you. not hearsay. the transmission shop identified the problem; unusually small bearings. the BMW motorcycles i restore are overbuilt with unusually large bearings that almost never wear out. i once had a 1982 Volvo 240 with 460,000 miles. 4spd overdrive and i don't think the hypoid 90 had ever been replaced. pre-loaded timken roller bearings on all three shafts. bullet proof. i guess i'm going for a gasket, bearing and seal set. Thanks Guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.