Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Geo Tracker 1.6 engine that runs rough and can smell gas on oil dipstick. Could this be a fuel injector problem or is it something much more serious?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Either a FI running wild or the diaphragm in the FPR is ruptured..

..... Philip

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Philip

I pulled the vacuum line of the FPR and no fuel was leaking out (was told it would leak from vacuum line if bad). I'll check FI next as you suggested.
Thanks for your reply.
Brian

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did you have any issues lately of cranking and cranking and it just wouldn't start? If a spark problem then a lot of that gas being dumped could end up in the oil. In which case just change the oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello tlctracker76 -my vehicle starts right up, just runs rough and uses a lot of gas. Now I know where the gas is going and it appears to be a bad or several bad fuel injectors that are causing the problem. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Hello tlctracker76 -my vehicle starts right up, just runs rough and uses a lot of gas. Now I know where the gas is going and it appears to be a bad or several bad fuel injectors that are causing the problem. Thanks for your input.
Use a noid light and make sure they are pulsing, If a steady light, look for a short to ground on the ground return...

.... Philip

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had never heard of a noid light until now. I just looked up on internet and can buy one pretty cheap. Do you hook it up between the injector and the injector wiring or what. Are you telling me that I may have an electrical problem instead of a bad injector or does this light just confirm that the injector is bad?

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
I had never heard of a noid light until now. I just looked up on internet and can buy one pretty cheap. Do you hook it up between the injector and the injector wiring or what. Are you telling me that I may have an electrical problem instead of a bad injector or does this light just confirm that the injector is bad?
The noid checks that the FI is getting a pulse (ecu and wiring good)..

It connects to the harness plug instead of the FI...

If all pulse, a complete fuel system check, incl leak down on FI is in order...

.... Philip

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Just make sure...

Oil with gas in it doesn't lube very well. use common sense about how long to troubleshoot this problem before changing the oil... do not wait to long you could end up with a bad lower end. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Philip - I'll get the light and check it out when I get back down to Mexico at the end of the month. I appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mike - I plan on changing the oil before I do any more investigative work. I definitely don't want to get into deeper problems.

·
Super Moderator
24,458 Posts
You can make a noid light fairly easily - an LED bulb and two wires - attaching the wires to the connector for the fuel injector checks to see if the ECU is sending the signal to the injectors, as well as the wiring from the ECU to the injectors. You mention your gas mileage is bad - how bad? I would imagine that if you notice this in your mileage, you are losing more than a few drops of gas. And x2 to Mike's info - gas is not a good lubricant, and you can damage your engine if enough of this is in your oil. You can confirm that there really is gas in your oil by draining some of your oil into a container - the gas and oil will separate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Bex - I'll give the homemade light a try. As far as the gas mileage, I had put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank and filled it up (I think it's about 10 gal capacity) and went on about a 15 mile trip through the Mexican desert thinking that would help solve my rough running situation. I used better than half the tank on that short little trip - so about 3 miles per gallon. You can easily smell the gas on the oil dipstick. I'll definitely change it before I fire it up again to further check out my problem. Appreciate your feedback - Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
24,458 Posts
Just curious - what is the actually condition of the oil on the dipstick? Thin and not very oily? And is the level of the oil on the dipstick much higher, as you would expect with the additional amount of gas in the oil?
But I would definitely change the oil asap, and be quite vigilant driving the car and checking for the condition of the oil - this can cause serious damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bex - Good point on the oil level - it is not much higher on dipstick (just a little above full) and although it is thinner than it should be it still seems like it has a lubricating quality to it. It will be changed and watched. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts