Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so there is a lot of play in my 95 AWD Geo Tracker in the steering wheel.
It responds buuuut it's not responding like it should. It doesn't wander while driving. I've lowered the possibilities down to the Linkage, Steering Gear Box, or the Rack and Rack Bushings. Any suggestions? I can post a video if need be later on

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Have someone rock the streering wheel while you work your way down the steering system. checking for any looseness at each joint.

If lifting the front for access, remember for this test there should be some weight on the wheels to provide resistance from that end.

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
You may want to manhandle your center link and other steering/front suspension parts - you should have no play in the bushings that connect the center link to the pitman arm, idler arm, etc. If you lift your hood, you can grab at most of these components and try pulling on them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure if this helps any BUT I hear squeaking I think from the left side ONLY when I turn, would that be bushings and rack or ball joints?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Another thing to check if your steering "seems" loose, the wish-bone and ball joint over the rear differential. If loose there, the rear end can shift, causing you to have to correct... making it seem to have loose steering.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it doesn't "seem" like it has play lol it has it lol

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
With the car off, you should have between .4 - 1.2 inch of play in the steering wheel. If more than that, check your tie rods, idler arm, lower ball joint, etc. All of these things can be manhandled for play - that's what you need to do.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I manhandled the steering linkage and it has a LOT of play in it, replace just the steering linkage? that is what connects the steering wheel to the steering gear box right?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also, found out I have power steering :| I guess this means my rack and pinion is destroyed as well and that squeaking I'm hearing is the bushings?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
Worm and roller. And your linkage should have no play - as there are a number of components that make up 'linkage' where exactly is your play? Again, there should be none anywhere. But having play doesn't necessarily mean that your power steering system is affected.
Steering diagram and part names are here:
1995 Suzuki Sidekick Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I honestly have no clue on anything steering related.
I'm going based on the fact I have a steering linkage, power steering pump that doesn't whine when turning either way, (power)steering gear box that connects it all and the power steering fluid is completely out and the steering has a LOT of play in to the left and right and it's in the linkage and there is a squeaking when turning.
This is honestly the weirdest little car I've owned and I'm just trying to fix the steering and possibly delete the Power steering if I can because I like how manual steering feels.
And the thing is a 95 tracker, just looks like a rack and pinion on it, and I'm going based on the fact advanced auto parts has a hydraulic rack and pinion as a replacement part that is listed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what's the part that links to my steering wheel to the gear box?
and how do I do a power steering delete?
And I swear this thing has a rack and pinion....it looks like one :|

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
I honestly have no clue on anything steering related.
Steering is pretty important, and if the above is the case, I would take it to a professional to repair.
Does your system look like the diagram in the above link? I suppose it is possible that someone replaced your system, but unlikely.

Our cars actually have a pitman arm. You can read about it here:
Car Bibles: The car steering bible.
In order to determine exactly why you have slop in your steering, you need to get under your car and roughly grab each of the steering components and see if you have even the slightest play in them, and if so, they need to be replaced.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright so I had it checked out before work and the play is in the steering shaft and the car is on a recirculating ball system. Now the only thing I can't figure out is the squeaking/chirping that happens when I turn. I'm thinking the tie rods?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DUUUUUMB question BUT where can I find a steering shaft and I would guess the knuckle? if that is the name of it unless it just connects straight to the steering gear box.
ALSO what should I do to delete the power steering pump? just remove it and plug the steering gear box?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
OBTW: A "95 AWD Geo Tracker" was never manufactured. Unless someone has modified your rig it is PART TIME 4 wheel drive. Learn the difference, it makes a BIG difference in how you use it. If you use a part time system like a all wheel drive, you are asking for MAJOR damage (read $$$$) to your transfer case or differentials.

-- Much to learn. --

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I just know it goes in 4wd which I thought was the same as AWD which I was corrected, twice.
Anyways it looks like the U joint right after the lower steering shaft has worn out judging from what I can see. Which seems to be everything 5-8.
Unless number 6 is what I think I'm looking at (I'm literally no good with diagrams)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
#6 is a boot. ... just follow the link, the descriptions are in English.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts