Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so the thing has been slowly leaking oil and well it's from the oil pan.
there IS a gasket in the thing from previous owner.
SOOOO the question is do I need a gasket in there or no?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
my chiltons book is saying this "apply continuous bead of silicone to oil pan gasket surface"

·
Super Moderator
15,039 Posts
First - Suzuki does not use a gasket on the oil pan - second - before attempting repairs clean EVERYTHING - make sure it is the pan gasket that is leaking, it is very easy to confuse a leaking crank seal for a pan gasket leak, the oil runs down and back, and ends up all over the pan.

·
Registered
929 Posts
^ Purple power or simple green.

If its old gasket material - wire wheel on end of drill bit makes quick work just be careful as oil pan is thin material.

Mine had a cork because someone tried to fix... it will leak eventually and I have no luck what so ever with any sort of cork vs oil. RTV - the grey stuff and if in a pinch the black CAN work any others I would pass for other repairs and go and buy some. Wal-mart carries the grey rtv down the section in the oil/filter isle usually by the freeon crap.

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
First - Suzuki does not use a gasket on the oil pan - second - before attempting repairs clean EVERYTHING - make sure it is the pan gasket that is leaking, it is very easy to confuse a leaking crank seal for a pan gasket leak, the oil runs down and back, and ends up all over the pan.
x2. And if there is a gasket there, someone has already opened the pan. RTV is the factory application, and it is a good idea to clean all thoroughly and then really confirm where the leak is coming from. Good info here on checking for leaks, etc:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-tracker/43568-oil-pan-gasket.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts