Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advise please, I have a 95 16v sidekick. I am having trouble with cold idle. I have no fast idle when cold, straight to 800rpm. Once it warms it works perfect, 1500rpm and slowly down to 800. I'm pulling my hair out. Also if it matters my a/c will not engage until the engine warms and the condenser fan runs until the engine warms. I am very confused. I appreciate any advise. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
Assuming that your car is timed correctly, on the 16v, the cold idle is maintained solely by the idle air valve, which is a mechanical wax pellet valve just on the right front of the throttle body behind a metal plate. If you remove the plate, the valve should be in a rearward position so that the vacuum port on the right side of the housing is visible, to provide extra air. As the car warms up, the wax pellet expands, pushing the valve forward to close this port.
Does your car start easily? Have you tried starting the car with the gas pedal depressed about 10% which provides more air?? Just out of curiosity, when you start your car from cold, have you confirmed that the EGR valve is not stuck in the forward position??

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Assuming that your car is timed correctly, on the 16v, the cold idle is maintained solely by the idle air valve, which is a mechanical wax pellet valve just on the right front of the throttle body behind a metal plate. If you remove the plate, the valve should be in a rearward position so that the vacuum port on the right side of the housing is visible, to provide extra air. As the car warms up, the wax pellet expands, pushing the valve forward to close this port.
Not entirelt, there is an ISC which is used to regulate the idle speed. Idle speed is controlled inversely proportional to coolant temperature.
I would advise checking the ISC and the coolant temperature sensor.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
Not entirelt, there is an ISC which is used to regulate the idle speed. Idle speed is controlled inversely proportional to coolant temperature.
I would advise checking the ISC and the coolant temperature sensor.
True. I should have said that cold idle is 'additionally' maintained by the idle air valve. Thanks for the correction...:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.