Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! New to the forum, but not internet forums in general.

Long story short, my brother and I own (together) an Geo metro convertible. Our family is green with envy all summer. Since its a manual, the women can't drive it (thank god!!!). So, we helped my mother find a mint 1996 4x4 tracker with an Auto. It needs a new top.

I've been doing lots of searching, and I have come to the conclusion that it has the incorrect top on it. Its way too tight at the rear back window, and, near the front windshield, this top is held on with plastic clips. But my searching has led me to believe that the 95+ tops should have snaps. It should also have zip-out windows on the side.

Am I correct in assuming that it currently has on a 94 or older top?

Check it out

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ideally, we'd like to put a new black soft top on it, with zip out side windows.

The current top also has the fiberglass rod under the back window that clips into the 'clips' on the back door. I'm not sure if that's a 94 top thing or a 95 top thing, or if both style tops do that?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Is the top leaking anywhere?

IIRC the side windows are velcro not zippered if that matters.

·
Super Moderator
24,449 Posts
Yes, its the wrong top. The 95+ has removable rear side windows that zip out along with a bit of velcro. No fiberglass rod at the tail gate, and connects to the front bow with snaps. Your problem will be that the front bow (where the snaps or sliding clips would be) is different on the 95+ to accommodate the snaps. You would need a new front bow, as well as the plastic strip that runs along the top of the tailgate where the top abuts the tailgate. So, a bunch of hardware needed.
95+ diagram here:
1996 Suzuki Sidekick Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store
89-94 top here:
1992 Suzuki Sidekick Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store
Not great diagrams, but you can see the difference in the hardware, and compare with what you have on your car at the moment.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, kinda what I figured. And I suppose nobody just sells these things, so I can't just order them?

I see the front bow/all hardware is on ebay for a 95+, but it would be over $200 to get it.

Has anyone put snaps on the pre95 front bow? They make rivet snaps that I could rivet on....I think napa sells them. Anyone done that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the top leaking anywhere?

IIRC the side windows are velcro not zippered if that matters.
The top/front of the top is in good shape. The rear window is cracked, but the biggest issue is the back/rear corners don't fit and is too tight to get to cover...so if left in the rain it would all just run inside the back of the vehicle. It'll be stored inside most of the time...but we're just looking to get it into better shape. And I think with the top on, flipped back, and all windows removed it would be a nice way to keep the vehicle without taking the entire top off = pain in the butt

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's member here, search for his posts, or handle, and PM him. Have you thought about having a boat upholsterer mod your top for removable windows?
Oh ok, I remember reading some older posts about him saying he was having some made.

I wouldn't want to make these windows removable on this top, since the back corner tabs are broken off, and its virtually impossible to stretch it all together at this point. Its time for a new top. Sucks that this thing has the wrong hardware.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone have good pictures of the rear of a 95+ soft top where it attaches to the back of the door/ vehicle corners?

I'm fairly confident I can rig the front bow to work with the right top. But I can't find any good pictures of the back section to see if I can

·
Super Moderator
24,449 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Oh ok, I remember reading some older posts about him saying he was having some made.

I wouldn't want to make these windows removable on this top, since the back corner tabs are broken off, and its virtually impossible to stretch it all together at this point. Its time for a new top. Sucks that this thing has the wrong hardware.
That's me! I discount them for members who find me here. I actually just got a new bigger machine and manufacturing the 95-98 hardware is on my future to-do list -- I just have to find some time!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Bex, I searched and searched and just couldn't find that. Not sure why. Must have just missed it!

I definitely don't have the right hardware on the tailgate. Dang it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I may have gotten lucky for a change. My brother's wife has an uncle with a 1998 Tracker, he took the soft top off years ago and put a hard top on it. He says he has everything sitting in his garage still and it was all in perfect shape...and he'd sell it to me! So, I'm trying to find time to go check it out.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Very nice, I'd jump on that offer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, picked up the new top today, its in extremely nice shape. Little stained up, but no damage. All the pieces and hardware were there, and I got it on. Sooooo much better than the 94 style stuff! Thanks for all the help guys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts