Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I jumped the gun and baught my first a 94 4x4 auto tracker with 105,000 miles very nice little ride with new tires and all.

Drove it home where the ground was dry to look under it real good. I knew the body mounts in front of the rear tired was rusty and overtop the tired you can see the white stirofome inside the car, can I just coat all that real good with tar?

But my big problem is the crossmember that the top of the rearend bolts to is rusted in two on one side if you shake the body you can see it flex! Has anyone replaced this and is it worth trying to fix? Thanks for any info I can't find anything on the Internet

·
Super Moderator
18,423 Posts
I presume that it's a welded-in (possibly) assembly which is part of the frame (rear cross-member frame section) of which you speak.

http://lehmansuzukipartsonline.com/...hicleid=9153&diagram=1410020&diagramCallOut=3

Any repairs to this area will require a thorough investigation as to the extent of damage, and then a decision as whether to plate-over / repair the existing areas of concern OR cut-out entire portions and weld in replacement sections OR find a replacement frame OR vehicle.

Pics may help us better formulate additional comments.

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
I have just had two crossmembers replaced (and had the two rear ones by the gas tank replaced previously). As it was difficult to get round tubing here for replacement, I used square, which, at least with the way that I drive, won't cause an issue. What was left of my crossmembers was completely cut out, and entire new ones welded in. Over the course of the last year, much of my chassis has been re-welded.
Your issue with being able to see inside the car from the top of the wheel well is most probably the connection between the wheel well and floor pan rusting out - another common rust point. Presumably you still have carpet in the car? I pulled all my carpet out, as it hid a multitude of ugliness, ie, a pretty rusty floor pan. I am not replacing the carpet, but repairing the floor as I go along. The rear chassis of the car presents a problem, as mud tends to get stuck around the rear suspension and gas tank, causing this area to rust out. I now try to power wash this area a few times a year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the info my gas tank crossmember is good if you look in the diagram above the one I have rusted in two is the one infront of the rear Axle housing that had a bracket connecting to the housing. I guess I will get me some square channel to replace it sea to be the best and common way the rest of my frame is in pretty good shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts