Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my first sidekick this last winter and I never really went to fast before but now the the days are getting warmer I feel the need to go fast. The only thing stopping me is what I think my tranny is. It's all organically and I just put 200k on it. First gear it gets to me to about 15 at about 4k. 2nd is to 25 at 3k. 3rd gets me to about 35 at 3.5k 4th gets me to 45 at about 3k and fifth I'm kickin 3k at 55. Does anyone know how to fix it? Or would I be better off getting a new tranny?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Is this an auto you have??

Does it exhibit flare or slippage?

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
24,471 Posts
5 speed tranny. And your values are on spec. Normally, with stock tires, you would be running about 54/55 mph at 3000 rpm. This is the way the car is geared. However, this little engine loves to rev high - I have no problem running this at 70mph/4000 rpm while on the highway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5 speed tranny. And your values are on spec. Normally, with stock tires, you would be running about 54/55 mph at 3000 rpm. This is the way the car is geared. However, this little engine loves to rev high - I have no problem running this at 70mph/4000 rpm while on the highway.
Are you running a stock radiator? Because lately she's been running hotter than usual. I've checked everything I could think of. And thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
24,471 Posts
Yes, my entire engine is stock. Have you done any kind of service on the car? Replaced the air filter, coolant, etc., gapped your plugs to .028", done a tune up, confirmed that your thermostat is working properly. Checked your radiator for sludge, blockage (even leaves blocking the fins on the outside). Confirmed that you have the proper radiator cap (.9 bar - 13 psi). Coolant level remaining as usual? Also that you have the overflow tank filled to the proper level - if you let this run dry, the hose sucks air into the system, which can cause problems - that hose should always be below the fluid level. Presumably you are advising that its running hotter due to a change in the needle position on the dash? This is not really an accurate indication of temp - it is better to measure your temp with an IR thermometer pointed at the thermostat housing. In any event, if your needle is now in a different position, it would indicate that there has been a change in temp. FYI, my needle has sat at 1/4 for 19 years......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts