Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Suzuki Sidekick JX 1.6l 16valve, manual trans, TBI
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's what I do know fuel filter new installed 2.5 years ago but has sat in the yard for a little under 2 of those no being used. The throttle sensor semi new and in correct place, fuel regulator is fine I have to order a new one due to the line has a crack so it's dr'd at the moment with a pair of vice grips not my doing btw but it's working for right now, gas cap is good, timing is good, distributor was replaced about 2.5 years ago, nothing in the air intake line, all the hoses are attached and good, I hear air gasping coming from the tin round box that has 3 hoses one for the regulator one to the egr and one to something down under it looks like the same shape only sitting sideways .. I'm not familiar with the terminology of car parts I'm working on it sorry.. now everything was going fine until today I had to rewire the electrical clip to the throttle position sensor someone just had the wires up to the thing barely touching and had snipped them waaaaay to short ... And then now I don't know what's going on when I push on the gas it bogs down and loses power and with that comes this gassy exhaust smell. I was letting it sit for a min and it was fine but now I can't get it to get going for the life of me and I'm stuck in oregon on my way to Texas short on cash and need some serious help here any suggestions???? Also note I'm on the side of the road so limited parts replacement and I have one good tow left lmfao it's not a good situation at this point. So any and all suggestions are welcome I need help asap

·
Super Moderator
25,128 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and sorry for your trouble. It might help if you advised what you are driving - year, engine, tranny, etc. You are talking about a vacuum leak from some ‘round tin box’, Below is a photo of the engine of my Car (an 8v). Are you talking about the round ‘box’ just to the right of the battery? If so, that’s the EGR modulator, and it provides vacuum to the EGR valve.

If you follow the hose that comes out the front of that modulator, it will lead you to the EGR valve. And if the valve (diaphragm) doesn’t move forward and backward freely (or is stuck in one position) the engine will bog. ????

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that's the box I'm talking about I have a 1.6l 16 valve engine 4x4 what do you mean it should move freely? Like when I have the engine started it's supposed to be moving back and forth? Cause it doesn't move at all from what I can see how do I fix that ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh sorry I have a 94 suzuki sidekick jx 1.6l 16 valve engine 4x4 standard transmission 4door . If that's any help

·
Super Moderator
25,128 Posts
No, that round box doesn’t move at all - it’s basically a filter that connects vacuum to the EGR valve itself. If you follow the front hose on that round thing (modulator) you will come to the EGR valve. It’s a diaphragm that moves back and forth on a spindle. With the engine idling, you can push the diaphragm forward toward the radiator (carefully, using the metal bracket that supports the actual diaphragm material) - your engine will try to stall. When you let it go, it should snap back very strongly to its rearward position. The EGR valve itself, as well as the passages that it connects to (that you would see with the valve removed from the car) get clogged up with carbon over the years, and cause the engine to bog and hesitate. If this is your problem, it’s a simple fix. You test by having the engine idling and warmed up, then push the diaphragm forward. If the engine doesn’t stutter, it means that the intake and exhaust passages are blocked up. If the diaphragm doesn’t snap back strongly when you release it, it indicates the valve itself needs to be cleaned. You clean the valve with carburetor cleaner, so that all the passages on the valve are clear. With the valve removed from the car, you’ll see the intake and exhaust passages, and you ream them out as best you can, with carb cleaner (and perhaps a strong wire on a drill, to try to clear out the passages as deeply as you can). Before you put the EGR valve back on the car (and you will possibly need a replacement gasket for it), start your engine for about 1-2 seconds. It will rev very high and hopefully blow some loosened carbon out for you. Hopefully this is the cause of your difficulty. And of course, deal with the exhaust leak at the modulator - hopefully you’ll just need a replacement hose, if it’s leaking.

·
Registered
204 Posts
KELLIE: Attached (hopefully) is a photo of my engine with the major components identified. This was prepared several years ago for five of us locally that have SideKicks and one Geo Tracker. Your 16V engine should be very similar in most respects. Hopefully this will help you get familiar with the engine and what things are with the general terminology.

Reactions: Bex

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so what about a fuel pump relay or part issue? Would these be a possiblity I took a tool and beat on the fuel tank area and it started to go but about every other 15 miles at 55mph it bogs back down like I'm struggling to keep the fuel going or something? Idk thank you for helping me

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the picture helps tremendously lol thank you !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hang on my engine doesn't look like this picture at all lmfao my ex said he replaced the engine with a different one soooo that's awesome lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
See if you can find out what engine he put in your SideKick or what year/model of car he took it out of. Or maybe take a photo. It will be very difficult to help with your problems or point out the locations of parts to check on an engine of unknown origin.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
The picture is a 1.6 8v, not a 1.8; you said you have 1.6 16v. These photos are of my '95 16v. In the 2nd photo the finger is pointing to the EGR modulator.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i went off of what my ex told me I had in there I really wasnt sure at all anyways. But I figured it out right now it's the fuel pump going out. It explains a ton as to why beating on the tank worked to get me back on the road. I'm searching for one now but thank you guys for all the useful information I'll be back with more questions once I get home to my garage and start fixing her up. Y'all are the best

·
Super Moderator
25,128 Posts
Just for your info, the top of the fuel tank (where the wiring is) is a known area for mud and debris to gather. You may want to check the wiring, as well.

·
Super Moderator
25,128 Posts
The picture is a 1.6 8v, not a 1.8; you said you have 1.6 16v. These photos are of my '95 16v. In the 2nd photo the finger is pointing to the EGR modulator.
Good eye.....:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Gosh, that typo has been there for years, too. Duh! (Bex: my Miata has the turbo 1.8L. Right engine, wrong car, brain fart). Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would any of you guys happen to live near boise idaho? That's where I'm currently at and now to top it alllllll off I just blew another tire lmfao I can't catch a break... just curious if I could catch a ride out to the tire place in Nampa of not that's cool I'll figure it out I just thought I'd throw it out there lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hope someone on the group lives nearby to give you a hand. New Mexico just a bit too far! That's how these cars tend to be ... will run like a top for years, then when something goes wrong, so will a couple of other things in short order. Then, you're good to go for another couple of years. Good luck getting your tire and fuel pump fixed. If you can change a tire, put on the spare tire and get the flat tire to a tire shop for repair/new tire. On the fuel pump, you'll probably need to have a garage do that as it requires dropping the gas tank to replace the fuel pump. A new fuel pump will last for years, so that worry will be over. When my fuel pump failed, the car stuttered and bogged for a few days first. So the pump and a new fuel filter may address your bogging as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol thanks I'm sure all of this will work itself out eventually in the meantime I'll just keep trying to get home. Thanks again for all the great advice and help I'm learning a ton of useful information

1 - 18 of 18 Posts