Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forum but just picked up a 94 Samurai in great shape. The PO had installed a split rear seat from an earlier samurai but never installed the back bracket. My question is where do I drill the holes for the bracket. I have read that the threaded inserts are just under the sheet metal but have no idea where to drill. Don't know if he mounted the front mounts in proper location so don't want to use the seat as a guide. Also he has retractable seat belts but I have no idea as to where they mount. If someone could be of assistance that would be great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I see that a lot of people have viewed this but no one has replied. What I am wondering is if someone can measure from the wheel wells and the back door to the original bolt locations. That would give me a close number to work with. I can see the nuts through the wheel well but will have a difficult time transferring the measurements from underneath to inside the cab. So if someone has the time I would greatly appreciate it. My backseat bracket will be here on Monday.

·
Registered
173 Posts
mines an 88' so may be different but rather than relying on measurements just go underneath and take a small punch and put a mark/dimple up to the top tin or if you have room drill a tiny pilot hole from the bottom up.
Joe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is there is only about 3" of room between the top of the gas tank to the nuts. So I would have a hard time squeezing my arm in there and an even harder time getting a punch up inside the nut. Even if I could do that I wouldn't be able to hit it with a hammer. What I was planning on was if someone could get me close with there measurements then I would drill a small hole from up top and look through the wheel well and see where it went. The measurements should all be the same from 88.5 up.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It is exactly 5-5/8" from the center of each bolt back to the seam where the floor deck meets the rear crossmember where it starts to turn upward.
Hope this helps.
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are awesome. That is exactly what I was looking for. The seatbelt retractors I think I can get the measurement on cause the nuts are closer to the wheel well. Again thank you for taking the time. Will help me to avoid drilling to many holes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I need to go out right now so no time to take pics and measure but i will get back to you this evening with those facts .... I left myself a note.
Joe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was able to drill all the bolt hole locations. Also found the proper size grade 8 bolts. Btw the seatbelts are bolted with a 7/16 x 20. I used a lock washer and regular to bolt them down. The bolts for the bracket are supposed to come with it so I hope they are the right size. They are different then the seatbelts.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yep..... I just read your previous post and edited my post. guess you caught my original one :)
Joe

This is a fabulous site for Zuk's.... I've gotten plenty of help here myself

·
Banned
329 Posts
Was able to drill all the bolt hole locations. Also found the proper size grade 8 bolts. Btw the seatbelts are bolted with a 7/16 x 20. I used a lock washer and regular to bolt them down. The bolts for the bracket are supposed to come with it so I hope they are the right size. They are different then the seatbelts.
BTW, all bolts on a samurai are metric. While some sizes of SAE bolts may work, they are not exactly the right size.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried the metric equivalent but it would not thread. My buddy gave me a bolt index with all the sae and metrics and I tried them all but 7/16x20 was the only one that threaded. Maybe the threads were too rusted.

·
Banned
329 Posts
I tried the metric equivalent but it would not thread. My buddy gave me a bolt index with all the sae and metrics and I tried them all but 7/16x20 was the only one that threaded. Maybe the threads were too rusted.
Suzuki uses some uncommon thread sizes on some of their bolts. Most larger metric bolts are a 1.50 thread size and suzuki uses a lot of 1.25 thread size, on their larger bolts.
It could also be because it was rusted, like you say.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so I am almost finished with the back seat. But as I thought the PO bolted the seat in too far forward. By about 3-4". So now I am asking if anyone could get me measurements for the front bolt hole locations. I can see at least two captured nuts for the front but being that this has a split seat I am hoping there are four locations. If someone could check for me that would be great. I will now have to plug the holes that he drilled through the floor. I will have 4 extra water drains.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There are only two bolt holes in the front..... being it's dark now i will get to it tomorrow and give you an answer on location.
I remember a while back being underneath and could see where the bolts where coming thru to the bottom. Or you can set the seat in place with the back bracket and drill a tiny hole at the front location and then look underneath.... either way i will get you the dimensions tomorrow.
Joe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have read about others installing the split rear seat. I am wondering if they just used a bolt and nut for the inside locations. That's what the PO did just drilled four holes and used nuts and bolts. No structural support just bolted through the pan. That would be great in an accident with my kids back there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts