Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 4 door Sidekick JLX with fuel injection.
On Saturday I clean and vaccum it out and washed it.

Is it possible something got wet?

Yesterday morning it wouldn't start. I dedided to first try to see if it was
in the fuel system. I sprayed starting fluid in the breather and when I it the key it would act like it was trying to start so that let me know it was a fuel issue.

I have read several threads and I got some ideas but all seem to have a different opinion and where to start.

If someone could maybe give a step by step as to what to try first, second and so on so as not to be running in circles.

Ok here is what I have done so far.

1) I listen into the gass filler with someone turning the key. The fuel pump is not running.

2) I checked all the fuses and they are fine.

3) I pulled the left tail light and all the wiring looks fine. Also there is no rust in that area as someone mentioned in another thread.

So if someone go give me the steps to follow I would very much appreciate it.

Also someone mentioned checking the wiring on the top of the gas tank. Do this I would have to drop the tank. I have another idea on how to do this but need some measurements.

My idea is to cut an inspection hole in the floor above the tank. I don't mind doing this if I knew where the connections on top of tank.
Say from where the tailgate closes and also from either from left or right side.

Thanks to anyone in advance that can help.

Vic

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Check fuel pump relay for power and function at ECM (around driver's side kick panel), check fuel pump ground behind left taillight, test for power at pump (2 wire connection near/under left side, rear bumper). Good luck

EDIT: pull/clean/dielectric grease ground behind taillight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ranger88den

Can you tell me how to check the fuel pump relay for power?

There are two relays I found. Both have the same
OEM number. One is fuel pump relay and the main
relay, is this right? But how do I tell which is which?

Vic

·
Super Moderator
24,475 Posts
First I would check the fuel pump connection behind the left rear tail light - the ground for the pump is connected to the body there, and is a known rust point. At that point, there is also a connector with a pink/black wire - that is the fuel pump wire, and you should have 12v on that wire for each 3 seconds that the key is turned on. If you do, then the relay is fine, and sending power back toward the pump.
With your key on, you should hear the fuel pump prime for 3 seconds (at each key on), then it stops after 3 seconds. The fuel pump relay is the green relay under your dash, next to the similar looking black one. The switch in the relay gets its power from the blue/black wire going to it. You may also want to check your fuses, particularly the ig-coil fuse and the F1 fuse.

·
Banned
329 Posts
ranger88den

Can you tell me how to check the fuel pump relay for power?

There are two relays I found. Both have the same
OEM number. One is fuel pump relay and the main
relay, is this right? But how do I tell which is which?

Vic
The fuel pump relay is the one with the pink wire(s).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the problem. I took out both relays and pluged them
back in making sure to wiggle to make good connections
and now the sidekick is cranking and running fine.

Moral of this story: Never clean, vacuum, and wash your Sidkick.
It doesn't like all this pampering. LOL

Thanks for the help guys.

Vic

·
Super Moderator
24,475 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts