Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 Geo Tracker 5 speed 4x4 1.6 engine that will start up on its own and run for a few seconds but wont stay running, if you put gas in the throttle body it will keep running but if not it will die.

Here's what happened:
We started it to warm it up but when we went back out to leave it wasn't running and wouldn't start back up.

We have replaced:
Computer
Wiring Harness
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Fuel Regulator
Fuel Injector
Air Control Valve
And Fuel Relay

I'm at a loss and I don't have a clue what to try next... any suggestions?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Possibly a fuel line restriction? Maybe a kinked line or bad hose? I know brake hoses can break down from age and flaps of rubber can act like check valves, so no reason why fuel hoses can't do the same. I'm thinking maybe you have enough built up fuel volume to get it started but not keep going. If nothing looks obvious from visual inspection (dented lines, rotted hoses, etc.), I would try disconnecting the pressure line at the engine and route it into a bottle, then temporarily powering the fuel pump and make sure you have good flow that continues and doesn't choke off. Somewhere around 1 liter in 30 seconds. Be very careful to keep any sparking from jumpering wires away from the fuel fumes. If no good, you could try disconnecting the fuel line in other places (like fuel filter) and check for flow to help isolate what's gone bad.

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
I have a 93 Geo Tracker 5 speed 4x4 1.6 engine that will start up on its own and run for a few seconds but wont stay running, if you put gas in the throttle body it will keep running but if not it will die.

Here's what happened:
We started it to warm it up but when we went back out to leave it wasn't running and wouldn't start back up.

We have replaced:
Computer
Wiring Harness
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Fuel Regulator
Fuel Injector
Air Control Valve
And Fuel Relay

I'm at a loss and I don't have a clue what to try next... any suggestions?
First suggestion is to actually do some diagnostic TESTING and stop dumping parts into the car in the hopes that you guess the right one.
You should first start with a compression test, which will verify the timing of the car. There is no sense doing anything else, until you have the results of this test. On your car it is simple enough to do - pull the F1 fuse, remove all spark plugs, make sure the battery is well charge, and floor the gas pedal when cranking to get the best compression. Your car should pull about 170psi on all cylinders. Do the compression test and post your results.

You should also confirm that your check engine light is on with key on, and that you can get a code 12 from it. Instructions here:
Check Engine Light

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.