Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 93 escudo 1.6 16 valve g16a New Zealand efi 4wd It has low compression 145psi on all 4 but on idle it has a little miss and the same when I raise the rpm it is not a complete miss it happens but you can feel the miss when driving it has a constant shake.
Also the timing specs for it is 8degrees but at 8 degrees there is no power I have to at least put it to 12 degrees. would there be any reason for that it also backfires alot when travelling downhill in gear or after reving it up and it is going back down to idle. any ideas on any of these problems?
Thanks

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,262 Posts
Time to check the timing belt, the engine timing is off...

.... Philip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for that I have done alot to the motor itself the timing belt has been done 3 times and the timing is all correct I did have a problem where the dizzy seized up and I had to change it. The keyway is also in good condition as I have changed the front crank seal. I think the rings are causing the low compression because it blows blue smoke when I put my foot down.
Thanks

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,262 Posts
You stated it back fired, this is a condition of valve timing being off...

Redo the compression with a teaspoon of oil added just prior to cranking, Make sure the TB is wide open.. and fuel cut..

.... Philip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I done a compression test at wide open throttle all spark plugs out ignition and fuel disabled I did all 4 on dry test 123 were all 160psi and 4 was 155psi.
I started to do a wet test then I had to stop I ran out of time but I got 180 psi on cylinder 1 on wet test. I am not to sure why it back fires but it is not all the time sometimes it can do it and it will do it heaps and others it will not do it at all.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
First, you should confirm if your car is fuel injected or carburetor - two entirely different animals....
If fuel injected, when doing the timing belt, there are two marks on the cam pulley - and E and an I mark (or 60A and 80A). It's the E or 60A mark that should be used. You may also want to check the valve lash, to make sure that the lash is correct. Presumably your car is the 8v engine - the rotor in your distributor should only go on one way, and your rotor rotates clockwise. If you can only get the car to run with the timing advanced on the distributor, then there is something wrong with the timing somewhere.....You initially advise your compression is 145 - then 160...???? What changed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi it is fuel injected 16 valve I have taken off a pipe that connects the air box to the side above the wheel well I noticed a difference in sound after doing that also this time I took all the spark plugs out instead of just 1 at a time I also cranked over the engine longer (about 9-10 revolutions) I know for sure that the cambelt and timing marks are all correct it has been checked by others and was the same as the other motor when I did the engine swap the rotor does only go on one way. I have tried to find the problem for a while now I have taken out the cat tested all the spark plug leads. I did try take a video of it happening but when you want it to happen it never does.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
I think, however, that if the timing was correct, you would not have to set the distributor beyond the factory spec of 8*. Have you ever checked the valve lash, to see that the gaps are correct?
Also, is your check engine light on with the key on, and off once the car starts? When the car 'misses' does the check engine light flicker at all? When you pulled the spark plugs, what were the conditions of the tips?
Maybe give some details of exactly how the car runs, warm idle, power, bogging, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts