Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
rule 1
if you remove a sensor.
the ECU tries to mimic that missing sensor.
and does so really really badly. (+ limphome)
rich, retarded spark and rpm cap lowered, and loss of idle controls.
all that bad may seem better.
but to you it seems good to you, because, the motor was far worse before.

in the world of EFI things are relative.

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
questions
ever get your injector(s) cleaned for $19 each. 1 TBI , or 4 MPI?
make sure gas tank is not full of rust ( new filter will show rust fall out the old as you change it, i look careful there)

·
Registered
3 Posts
That was a snotty reply yes I did diagnostics check and like the other posts it didn't throw any codes yet ran shitty sometimes computers aren't all their cracked up to be. Guess what it does run damned good without the MAS and fuel economy ain't to bad. Basically this post was a solution for somebody maybe because none of the other posts fixed shit.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
One other thing after reading well over 100 pages of possible solutions i had to start trying something or junk the rig because nothing else worked even the local suzuki tech's couldn't find the problem. I was just trying to help I will delete my profile and not offer any more suggestions.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
One other thing after reading well over 100 pages of possible solutions i had to start trying something or junk the rig because nothing else worked even the local suzuki tech's couldn't find the problem. I was just trying to help I will delete my profile and not offer any more suggestions.
My Dear chap, relax, do not get your shorts in a knot.

This is an international forum and has always been open and lenient as regards communication style.

If you want garage floor help then sit back and let them do their job, realizing of course that we/they do not have access to the magic crystal ball, nor to the nuances of your particular vehicle. Mostly this forum is bent on diagnosing the issues and that requires information, sometimes begrudgingly supplied piecemeal by the owner. Guessing and using anecdotal information is next to useless...

As you have noted with regards computers GIGO, "Garbage In, Garbage Out".

It is just a matter of unraveling the problem like an union, one layer at a time. Yes, It can seem endless and frustrating, but if you want and need the assistance you have to be patient.....

Further, WELCOME to the forum..... Philip

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
I'm just stating fact.
the ecu is not god, it will never tell you what is wrong, it has zero intelligence !
it will only show you that some (not all) ECU wires FALL off. that is it, with no scan tool. (with the scan too the tech is the brains and the ECU reports data)

if your KICK runs and you are happy in limphome , by all means enjoy that. (there are many a swap buggy , just like that)
we can't fix happy. In fact we have posts like that, swap buggy's that owner said, I just want it to run, not run right.. on purpose.
and gee we helped.
please don't delete your profile.
and I am so sorry you bought $1000 in parts,

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
oops i posted to wrong page, had 3 open,,,,heheheh

ECU ( its just a controller its really not a brain, sure call it that but it is just a dumb microcontoller)

we can look at the ECU and see it has 3 major modes, ( the FSM covers this but is piss poor)
NORMAL (runs in closed loop and gets 29mph , potential)
Limphome ( ECU is lost or a major sensor or 2 or 3 are dead or weak or way off calibration)
BACKUP ( ECU is dead the back up chip is running the show, its not a pretty site that... sucks fuel like mad too)

so there are really 3 ECU's in the box
pick one and do be happy.

and if you don't understand why limphome mode hides lean NORMAL, then i cant help you. (rich hides lean, is that not obvious?)

The Normal mode does everything thing it can to run at 14.7:1 Air to fuel ration at idle and cruise ( yours dont) and when you move
the right foot fast or WOT, the ECU goes to 12.5:1 (about) and makes 95HP (16v)
that is what NORMAL is.

If your ECU Normal mode is malfunctioning. then we can fix that ( using tests ,using tools)
Most failures here are caused by ,
1: not using tools and gauges.
2: not doing tests
3: or using used parts, or poor quality china parts.

I leave you with those facts. I try to help the people that want to dig in, i cant help the helpless. sorry.

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
That was a snotty reply yes I did diagnostics check and like the other posts it didn't throw any codes yet ran shitty sometimes computers aren't all their cracked up to be. Guess what,? it does run damned good without the MAF and fuel economy ain't to bad. Basically this post was a solution for somebody maybe because none of the other posts fixed shit.:)
we gave over 10,000 post, so you say no fixes there, you are wrong.
Everyone who reads the FSM finds the part about mimic mode.
The ECU mimics a bad sensor, and sure as shooting, unplugging
a sensor does cause mimic mode and does in fact go rich,
the MFG does that ON PURPOSE because if they went lean, you can burn valves. it's not a mistake, its a FEATURE of the ECU.
My MAF page even mentions to unplug a dead maf , just to show
that motor wakes up.
A dead maf (very low lets say) causes a huge power loss.
if you unplug it , the ecu goes to MAF mimic mode and limphome. Bam.
If that floats your boat, great !

it's not a computer, nor is it a brain,
its just a dumb , dead stupid micro controller.
please lower expectations by 99% in that regard.
cheers.

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
a full diagnostic check is not looking at the CEL with the Diag plug , jumpered
it diagnostic check is connecting a full scan tool and driving and logging data/.
the former is 1% .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry I know this is old; I was going to say a bunch of stuff; BUUUT now all I can say is..."I'm loving it!"...That was the best vehicle advise I have ever seen anywhere! Typically people can't or won't face the facts, (that admittedly includes myself)!! Basic maintenance must be done or caught up, TSB(s) should always be reviewed and there should be a basic troubleshooting and testing plan in place! Peoples throwing of parts hoping something will stick then running to others for emergency help gets tiresome! I can admit I have gotten lazy with the invention of the internet. Thank you very much for the reminder! I'm excited to work on Samurais again!! Handle your own baggage first!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts