Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
The weekend past, my wife and I finally plasti-dipped our tracker. When we bought it it was pretty rough. We've been working on it, piece by piece, and finally decided to do something about the paint.

Originally we'd planned to paint it ourselves, but for the price, we decided to try this instead. The process was OK, mostly disassembling and taping. I got better with my technique towards the end, and I'd do it again in a different color if we get bored with this or it gets damaged too much.

We started with about 4 coats of gunmetal gray, and then 4 or 5 light coats of White. I probably needed one more coat of white, but I was exhausted by the time I was done.

In retrospect, I should have put in a little thicker coats, kepts the gun closer to the car, and done it in a cleaner room. Cool thing is, we can peel this off and start over when we want a change.

Here is a gallery with a bunch of pictures.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nice. I'm busy (slowly) repairing my Sidekick. My replacement parts are red and my 'Kick is blue. I was going to 'dip it black as a temporary recoloring. Did you use a full kit from dipyourcar or did you rattle can it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the kit. We used rattle cans for the front bumper, it took 2 full cans. We used about 3/4 gallon of the gunmetal gray, then almost 2 gallons of white. Black should cover better than white, though.

It would take FOREVER with cans, but it could be done. It took us maybe 3 hours of spraying (and waiting between coats).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone!
The weekend past, my wife and I finally plasti-dipped our tracker. When we bought it it was pretty rough. We've been working on it, piece by piece, and finally decided to do something about the paint.

Originally we'd planned to paint it ourselves, but for the price, we decided to try this instead. The process was OK, mostly disassembling and taping. I got better with my technique towards the end, and I'd do it again in a different color if we get bored with this or it gets damaged too much.

We started with about 4 coats of gunmetal gray, and then 4 or 5 light coats of White. I probably needed one more coat of white, but I was exhausted by the time I was done.

In retrospect, I should have put in a little thicker coats, kepts the gun closer to the car, and done it in a cleaner room. Cool thing is, we can peel this off and start over when we want a change.

Here is a gallery with a bunch of pictures.
What did you end up doing g to the interior flooring?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Well, it's a different color.
That's what my dad said after I asked him what he thought of the new paint job I had just completed on my 1959 Hillman Minx.
I initially changed from the factory tan to Rattlecan Chevy engine orange.
Hey, I was 16.
The second job was three coats of royal blue metallic lacquer, after two coats of primer. Oh! Sweet!

I am amazed at the results guys are getting in the videos I have seen on Youtube using Rustoleum and a roller!!
Sanding and buffing really finish off the - err finish.

Something I didn't know about when I sprayed my first car.

Looks nice!
Good job. :thumbsup:

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts