Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to these forums. it seems there is such a great community of help, id thought id ask some assistance. the clutch has gone on my 92 sierra and i would like to install a new one myself, i hear it is relitively easy and will save me approx. $450
has anyone done this before and could offer some useful advice?
much appreciated

·
Registered
616 Posts
clutch replacement...

The moderators have the Sierra lumped in with the Samuirai and other SJ models from around the world, so I am going to assume that it is similar enough to the SJ-413 (Samurai) to offer this advice:

Download the 88 Samurai Factory Services Manual at Ack's FAQ (search for fsm) for instructions on how to change the clutch.

The best way would be to:

Detach the intermediate shaft
Disconnect the electrical reverse and shift connectors
Remove the shifter from inside the cab
Disconnect the clutch cable at the transmission
Support the transmission and engine separately (transmission supported on a wheeled transmission jack or similar)
Remove remove the four bolts holding the engine to the transmission
Slide the transmisssion away from the engine.

Replace clutch. and check the pilot bearing and throwout bearing replacing as neccessary.

Repeat the disassembly in reverse order. The hard part is getting the everything aligned for reattachment to the engine AND setting up the clutch cable linkage.

Finally - you might check the clutch linkage before you do anything! The cable is known to stretch and you may only need to do a bit of adjusting to get more life out of the existing clutch! The procedure is in the FSM.

I hope that this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts