Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 92 Samurai that wasn't running. Previous owner bought it the same way. Upon trying to start it, I found it has no spark. After reading some troubleshooting on this and other forums, I sent the ecu in for repair. I installed rebuilt ecu and still have no spark. I also realized the fuel pump does not run although the relay near ecu was clicking. I swapped relays with each other and repeated clicking stopped but still have no fuel or spark. All fuses are good and tight. I have been searching locally for a running Samurai to swap test parts but the only ones I find are carb models. Any help greatly appreciated.

(side note) I have read dozens of threads where similar problems are discussed and links to troubleshooting or schematics are now dead or the original poster never reported what the problem ended up being. Very frustrating!

·
Super Moderator
12,172 Posts
Do you have any more information about the history of the "no start" problem - or should we just start troubleshooting from scratch?

Was it a running vehicle that just failed or is it a project that was never completed?

Can we assume that the mechanicals are intact? A broken timing belt will cuase the symptoms you describe - as will many other things - we just have to find a place to start - and we can eliminate some of the simple stuff very simply.

Remove the distributor cap and watch the rotor whilst you crank the engine over - does the rotor turn? There's a sensor in the distributor that's the "key" to both fuel & spark - if the ECU never sees that signal you'll get neither fuel nor spark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the assistance..

Previous owner couldn't tell me anything other than it had no spark when he bought it. I am operating under the assumption that whatever keeps it from running now is what took it out of service (apart from a sloppy front axle, but that's another story)

The distributor is turning when cranked and engine seems to be in proper cam timing. I replaced both relays near the ECU with no improvements. I also attached a plug wire directly to the coil to bypass distributor to no avail. Another symptom that reared it's head today was that the battery drained overnight.

As it sits now:

No Spark
Fuel pump does not run
Rebuilt ECU (Speedometer Repair Guy) He said it had a bad trace in fuel inj circuit)
Two new relays
Fuses all good

I will spend a few hours with test light this evening and report

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have fuel.

Tracked fuel pump to backwoods toggle wiring. Seems they didn't want to spent $20 for a new fuel relay but spent $5 for a switch and sacrificed a nice extension cord for wire. Repaired and properly running off keyswitch/relay. Removed all other added wiring and accounted for any added toggles.

Still no spark (not that I expected any for that repair) I have 12v at coil with key on. 12v at efi fuse and all others except I read about 2.5 v at fuse for dome light which is long gone with wires capped. ??

White wire that attaches to positive post of battery has current draw with key off. No clock, radio or lights on to account for this.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Start by pulling fuses from the Fuse Box one at a time until your mysterious current drain disappears...then trace that circuit for the fault. After that you should look at the ignition circuit, and test the dizzy based on FSM testing procedures.
Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The current drain is still there with all fuses removed. I'm afraid I will be unwrapping the harness this afternoon to look for a short.

FSM= Factory service manual? Looking for one now.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Did the guy that repaired the ECU test it? it seems that many people that claim to do repairs don't have a tester. I would try and get the power restored to the white wire, its best to have that back up power supply, it pretty much guarantees that the ECU will power up correctly if therev are no major faults.
Do the relays click on when you turn on the ignition? does the Check Engine Light come on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is always a power draw on the white wire (short) although it is a small one.

The guy that repaired the ECU says he has done thousands of Samurai/Tracker ecu repairs and put a lifetime warranty on it. I'm still trying to find a running efi samurai locally to test it.

Relay clicks and fuel pump does run not that it is wired correctly. Check engine lights, (Code 12) and engine cranks. I am seeing 12v at coil with key on.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
There is always a power draw on the white wire (short) although it is a small one.

The guy that repaired the ECU says he has done thousands of Samurai/Tracker ecu repairs and put a lifetime warranty on it. I'm still trying to find a running efi samurai locally to test it.

Relay clicks and fuel pump does run not that it is wired correctly. Check engine lights, (Code 12) and engine cranks. I am seeing 12v at coil with key on.
OK well if the main and fuel pump relays are working and the fuel pump works as well then thats a good start. The ECU will always draw some power from the white wire, thats normal, but it shouldn't drain the battery. Have you measured how much current is being drawn and then unplugged the ECU to see how much that draws? I can put a Sammy ECU on my test set and measure it if you need a comparison.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will buy an amp meter and measure the draw. I am concerned because I have a draw on white wire even with all fuses pulled. I will unplug ecu and test again.

Unfortunately I didn't get any wrench time in today. Had a rather angry blond demanding that her remodeling project make some headway.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No Spark

I have a 92 Samurai and its not getting any spark. can turn key it spins over and over but no spark, relays work on ECU, they click on and off anyways. fuel pump works, has power up to the coil, but No fire brand new coil wires cap rotor If anyone has any ideas I am listening

·
Registered
4 Posts
Working on it now, but just not sure where to start, hey do u kno if a Samurai ECM can be switched with a side kick one if they are compatible?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Working on it now, but just not sure where to start, hey do u kno if a Samurai ECM can be switched with a side kick one if they are compatible?
The Sidekick and Samurai ECUs are not compatible. have you tried checking for codes while cranking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
How do I test it what would I use? U see I am so frustrated and at a loss I am not even sure what I am doing anymore sends smoke signals lost in dark ages plz help

·
Registered
212 Posts
When my Sami did what you describe, it turned out to be the pig tail out of the bsck of the ignition switch ( key )
If you can find a Sami in the wreckers it will slide out of the holder behind the key with a small philips driver taking the screw out. It is on a plugin so just carefully withdraw the plug and you have it in your hand.
If you have to take the key holder off the steering column you will need vicegrips or some such plier to take out the slotless screws. ( something to do with an antitheft device)
After changing mine, Sami started right up and still does.
Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts