Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted my first post about purchasing a 92' Sammy and I'm looking at swapping the 1.3L for a 1.6L 16-valve motor.

I tried searching the forum, but I couldn't find answers to my specific questions. Perhaps someone can link me to a buildout thread for this swap?

Here are the questions I'm trying to hunt down answers for:

1. Do I need a full adaptor kit and ECU for a 92'?
2. Is $950 a good price for a 1.6L that has been overhauled?
3. What's the ballpark labor costs for the engine swap (I'm not comfortable doing this myself)?
4. Is there anything else I'm missing to make this a successful swap?

Thanks so much in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
You will need to use the computer from the 16v. There is also another wiring harness involved.

You are lucky. You are at least in the same state where that conversion was made into an art form... You are about 270 miles away from Trail Tough in Medford. They can do that swap in their sleep.
You say you are not comfortable doing it on your own, well, there is your answer.
Give them a call and they can give you all the prices/time table information you need.
;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BillJohn! I literally just found Trail Tough's site late last night and was surprised when I saw an Oregon address. By the way here's a good link for any future members looking for a good guide for a 1.6L swap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, BillJohn - any idea how tough it is to remove the wiring harness from a sidekick/tracker?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey BillJohn,

Aside from the motor, intake and exhaust manifold, ECM and wiring harness do I need anything else from the donor vehicle? i.e. Radiator, Alternator, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
If you have the option to pull the whole engine (with accessories like Alt and PS) then do it! The belts are not the same and it will take longer to make your sami alt work with the 1.6 setup. You also want the starter from the 1.6. Same reason.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I'm good without the radiator though?

So here's the search list I have so far, please tell me if I'm missing anything:

- 1.6L 16v Motor
- Exhaust Manifold
- Intake Manifold
- ECM
- Wiring Harness
- Alternator
- Power Steering
- Starter
- Anything else???

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I did it straight from a kit, no additional hunting needed. The kit came with the following:

A complete 1.6/16v engine with starter, computer and wiring harness, air cleaner, an engine adaptor kit and a power steering kit to bolt the 1.6 PS into the Sami frame.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, that maybe a better option than me hunting and pecking through junk yards and ebay. Where'd you get your kit?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Bill, Just found your site on your conversion. So nevermind on the last question. :)

How do you like the 1.6L versus the 1.3L?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I am running a 1.6/8v in my trail rig and I love it. I have almost killed it from abuse, so I will be replacing it with a fresher motor - but the same type. The lower end torque isn't as strong as the 1.3, but it is a great overall upgrade. I can at least keep up on the highway.

The 1.6/16v was installed in one of our project trucks, and it screams on the highway. I love the mid to top end boost it gives you. You don't just keep up, you pass folks on the highway. But the low end torque didn't show anything stronger than the 1.3 or the 1.6/8v.

It does look good when you pop the hood though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts