Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
When the front tires are spinning, there's a loud pinging noise in the front end. Anyone know what it could be ?
Spinning as in by hand or on a slippery surface?
How many miles on this? More info on the specs?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Is this a Maroon (red) 2 Door convertible by any chance?

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
You may want to give more info on what you're actually driving - engine, tranny, 2wd or 4wd, etc., as per instructions here:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki...42-attention-please-read-before-you-post.html

And also more detail as to exactly when/how this noise occurs. Tires spinning: with tranny engaged? in neutral? in 4wd only? Etc., etc.
If you jack up the car, and spin the individual tires, will it still make the noise?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
When its in four wheel drive and the hubs locked ,there is bad pinging noise coming from the front of the vehicle when it loses traction. It sounds like the hub slipping on the splines on the axel , but no sigh of it doing that . I switched sides with the lock outs ,that didn't help. the spline look to be ok on the axel and hub. drained the front differential, there was no metal in the oil. Anyone know what's going on ?

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
These cars are part time 4wd, and should only be driven in 4wd with the hubs locked on a slippery surface. If you have been driving on dry surfaces in 42d, there is the chance you have damaged the transfer case.
Just confirm that this noise does not happen with the hubs unlocked (and the transfer case in 4wd). If that is the case, the next question would be if you have ever serviced the locking hubs, greased them, etc. and checked to see that they are locking fully.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Like Bex said, be sure it's in low traction conditions when in 4wd or you will end up with all kinds of noise. Let's assume you are following these instructions ... I had similar noises and it turned out the pumpkin (front diff) was banging around on it's mounts as they had loosened up. It could also be the bearings maybe complaining about the added load due to being dry or warn. Also check the cv's for excess play or torn boots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only time I use 4wd is off road. It makes the noise when it loses traction "like in mud". Has new axle on right front the left one is in good shape too. I took the hubs off cleaned an lubed them. They seemed to be working alright.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts