Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people. I am new to this site, and am having a no start problem with my 91 Carry. It was running fine,then shut off and refuses to start. It cranks ok, but no spark to the plugs. I also checked, and no spark coming from the ignition coil to the Distributor. I have power to the coil on the secondary wires and the resistance between them is 1.8 ohms and between the primary and secondary is 25.7 ohms. Everything else seems fine, fuel pump is running, rotor button is turning, all fuses are good. Just no spark from the coil.. any ideas? bad coil?Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks, I visually checked everything, but not sure how to actually test the pickup coil and Module.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
I visually checked everything
Unfortunately the electrons cannot be seen by naked eye.!.

If you have power to the (+) side of coil, either a MM or a test light on the (-) side of coil, to ground, should flash when engine cranked..

... Philip

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, exactly... I have power to both sides of the ignition coil with the key on, but no flashing while cranking, just a steady 12V on both...

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Yes, exactly... I have power to both sides of the ignition coil with the key on, but no flashing while cranking, just a steady 12V on both...
Then the ignitor is not functioning.. follow the (-) side for location.. not sure if yours is in dist or external

The coil fires on ground opening (unloading).

·
Registered
553 Posts
Greetings! If that is a ECM model, do not put a jumper to the Module box as it can short out a diode as they did to mine, cost P6000 for repairs. The problem I am experiencing now is the same, it is the part that replaced points on old style distributor, inside the cap, pickup coil maybe?

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Greetings! If that is a ECM model, do not put a jumper to the Module box as it can short out a diode as they did to mine, cost P6000 for repairs. The problem I am experiencing now is the same, it is the part that replaced points on old style distributor, inside the cap, pickup coil maybe?
That is why you must use a load (light bulb)..

... Philip

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In that case, it must be the module, it is inside the distributer on this model. Thanks for the help, will see about replacing it and go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's my igniter, I will check for power to it and see what that gives me, thanks so much for the help Phillip

·
Registered
553 Posts
As I remember when my car malfunctioned in the past, the artical I read called what you call a igniter/module a signal generator. It sent a pulse to the ECM, which in turn sent a signal to the coil, and that generated the spark. If the distributor was not turning or broken, no spark.
Does this make sense aquanaut20?

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
As I remember when my car malfunctioned in the past, the artical I read called what you call a igniter/module a signal generator. It sent a pulse to the ECM, which in turn sent a signal to the coil, and that generated the spark. If the distributor was not turning or broken, no spark.
Does this make sense aquanaut20?
Correct, depends on your age..LOL

...Philip

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Phillip, just wanted to say thanks, you were right, I replaced the igniter and it fired up....thanks so much...now to get a set of tracks for her...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts