Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first Sami and i am very unfamiliar with it. It ran pretty decent the first two days i drove it, but then all of a sudden it started idling high 2000rpm and started to surge from 2000 rpm down to 800 and right back up to 2000. At first it was surging every 10 to 12 seconds.. The next day it was doing it every 2 seconds! It idles fine when its cold. But as soon as it warms up it idles high and starts surging. Im new at these machines and im wondering if maybe this is a common problem? What steps should i take to diagnose the problem? It is fuel injected. Any help would b greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just purchased my first Sami and i am very unfamiliar with it. It ran pretty decent the first two days i drove it, but then all of a sudden it started idling high 2000rpm and started to surge from 2000 rpm down to 800 and right back up to 2000. At first it was surging every 10 to 12 seconds.. The next day it was doing it every 2 seconds! It idles fine when its cold. But as soon as it warms up it idles high and starts surging. Im new at these machines and im wondering if maybe this is a common problem? What steps should i take to diagnose the problem? It is fuel injected. Any help would b greatly appreciated!!
Replace your fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agree with Mr. Puddlejumper

Have to agree with Puddlejumper. My 95 idled bad at hot and was difficult to start when hot too. It got progressively worse over time. When the regulators go bad, they usually get a hole through the diaphragm which will allow raw fuel to be sucked into the vacuum line that goes to the intake manifold. The ECM may be able to compensate for the rich mixture for a little while, but the hole will get bigger to the point where it can't adjust enough. Then you will have a bad idle and difficulty during hot starting. Easy way to check the regulator is to pull the vacuum line off of the regulator with the engine runing, (Put your finger over the end of the vac line when you take it off) if you get any fuel coming out of the regulator vacuum port, its bad. Be careful when doing this as you will may be be dripping fuel onto a running engine.

Keep us posted!

Zeke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up running a tank of gas through it and it fixed itself.. Ithink maybe the problem was that when i first bought it i filled it up with 93 octane fuel. Now that i tun regular its working much better

1 - 4 of 4 Posts